Snaps

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Snaps

Post by hotdogin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am

Due to low line capacity of BFS spools I was wondering if using a snap would be a good idea in order to save some line. Would it greatly alter or kill the action of small lures like a Pins minnow or even a MB Baby Griffon? If not then what size is recommended?
just hotdogin it

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Snaps

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 am

Try looking into the Cultiva Tairiki Snap size 000. They are TINY and do not hinder the action of lures like other snaps do
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 am

Braid to leader is another option.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 am

Correctly sized snaps rather enhance the lure action as the lure can move around freely. For the same reason hard lures come with split rings to tie on right? If you swap out the split ring and rather use a snap you’re just saving line and time.

000 can turn out super small, 00 is the smallest I usually go.
AND 8-braid to leader to I crease casting distance.

Honestly, I don’t get why tying on directly would be a benefit (ok maybe for punching but you don’t do that with bfs gear). Here in Germany we always use them, over in America they seem super uncommon. Why tho?

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks for the info and recommendations. I understand the purpose of split rings allowing for more freedom, but wasn't sure if the shape, size, and added weight of a snap would hinder an already lightweight lure.

For general bass fishing I was always somewhat discouraged from using snaps because of the added bulk. I was under the impression that the less hardware at the end of the line was better for a more natural look.
just hotdogin it

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:37 am

hotdogin wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 am
Thanks for the info and recommendations. I understand the purpose of split rings allowing for more freedom, but wasn't sure if the shape, size, and added weight of a snap would hinder an already lightweight lure.

For general bass fishing I was always somewhat discouraged from using snaps because of the added bulk. I was under the impression that the less hardware at the end of the line was better for a more natural look.
I should add that I usually take the split ring off if using snaps for tiny cranks. Much better action
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:37 am
hotdogin wrote:

I should add that I usually take the split ring off if using snaps for tiny cranks. Much better action
X2

I typically remove split rings and use a snap or less often attach a solid ring to the split ring if not using a snap. I am not too happy with thin line (esp braid) rubbing against the edge of a split ring.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
hotdogin wrote:

X2

I typically remove split rings and use a snap or less often attach a solid ring to the split ring if not using a snap. I am not too happy with thin line (esp braid) rubbing against the edge of a split ring.
I feel the same way. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but I think the knot is much more durable when tied around the single round diameter of a wire snap. I use them on virtually all hard baits, not just the ultra light ones.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:48 pm

I just started using snaps on my moving bait setup. Not to save line but out of laziness basically. That said, I do notice Im going through less line (using an Aldebaran bfs)

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
hotdogin wrote:

You an get oval shaped split rings which pretty much eliminate knots migrating around the ring. Mustad make them and Daiwa used them on the small Woofer vibes.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:36 pm

I have many of those oval and egg/triangle shaped split rings -also from DUO I believe. Yes, they are better for direct ties or at least they make me worry less :-)

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 am

I've had some bad experiences with snaps - I've recently started using Mustad Fastach clips in the smallest size and pulled hard on them and so far so good. With my deteriorating eyesight and clumsiness, I find lure changes super easy with it as long as lure eye isn't obstructed (like with poppers). For river fishing (spinners, plugs and SPs), I won't use anything else. They aren't any good for super small lures (<1.5")which I don't often use anyway.