Good JDM rod for 4 lb. copoly line

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Pickwick
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Good JDM rod for 4 lb. copoly line

Post by Pickwick » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 pm

I have been blessed to accumulate several great JDM spinning reels, and some great domestically available rods of various companies and would like to try a very good JDM rod, 6'6" to 7' long that is well matched for 4 lb. test copoly line . Planned use would be on either a Luvias 2000, Exist 2003 or Exist 2505, 1/16 to 1/8 oz. jigheads, maybe a few slightly lighter heads, with small 2-3 inch swimbaits or Ned rig type plastics. Will be fishing from a boat in a rocky upland reservoir for spotted bass. I already have a very good rod for 3.1 lb. ester line.

I have many years of experience fishing with 4, 6 and 8 lb. line and might later try another JDM rod for 6 lb. test line. 8 lb. test rod needs are well covered by some top of the line Diawa, St. Croix, Loomis and Shimano rods. I have read lots of Alphahawk posts, seen some of his videos and read posts on various forums from several guys who seem to have some knowledge and experience with L/UL JDM rods. I would appreciate advise from anyone who has experience with longer UL/L action JDM rods and 4 lb. mono/copoly line. Thanks.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Good JDM rod for 4 lb. copoly line

Post by StymoDe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:51 pm

from what I know your intended use of line and lure seem approaching the upper limit of many high end JDM light game rods (#4 line, 5-6g), especially those with solid tip and shorter length

having said that, there are still plenty of options with tabular tip and longer rods and suitable for where you fish, a few AJing rods come to mind: Shimnao Soare Limited, GL Super corto, Evergreen Salty Sensation Superior, Daiwa Gekkabijin EX AGS, these are all VERY GOOD series, pricy of course :)

my 2cents...

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:01 am

I'm a little curious as to using mono for the contact baits described? I know Ned K.uses mono but that seems to be for reasons relating to economy rather than pure performance. Given that most US 4lb monos would actually be 6lbs or thereabouts, you might also consider FC. I have found that 5lb FC (Sunline), diameter 0.20mm performs brilliantly for the presentations mentioned. Any FC thicker than 0.20mm I find is unpleasant to use on spinning gear.

There are lots of JDM bass finesse spinning sticks available which would fit the bill perfectly. They tend to be 6'6" or shorter but there are some exceptions I think. Having fished both JDM bass finesse rods and a wide range of Aji/Area & Stream L/UL for bass and panfish style species, I favour using the bass stuff for bass presentations. The slightly bigger hooks, thicker wire and bigger baits are definitely easier to handle with JDM bass finesse rods. I personally use an Evergreen Inspirare Spin Serpent which is on the heavy/power finesse end of bass spinning but an L or ML Expride or similar would be perfect for the application.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:09 am

Expride 610ML is one of my favorites. I pair it up with #6 sufix 832 + #7 sunline sniper FC. Versatile in open water with little weeds.
Also have Expride 66L (JDM model) I use with straight #4.5 shooter Sniper FC for small paddle tails. very good for that presentation

Beam
Angler
Angler

Post by Beam » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:35 am

I also use the 6’6” JDM Expride 266L. Paired with a Luvias 1003. Small keitech 2.5 and 3 in. Swing impacts and the smaller keitech mad wag 3.5. Great rod for finesse bass fishing. I also have the Zodias light acting 6’8” and use with the same baits. both are great little finesse rode. 1 of these days I am going to try one of the Major Craft Spinners.
Good Fishing

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:26 am

Pickwick wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 pm
I have been blessed to accumulate several great JDM spinning reels, and some great domestically available rods of various companies and would like to try a very good JDM rod, 6'6" to 7' long that is well matched for 4 lb. test copoly line . Planned use would be on either a Luvias 2000, Exist 2003 or Exist 2505, 1/16 to 1/8 oz. jigheads, maybe a few slightly lighter heads, with small 2-3 inch swimbaits or Ned rig type plastics. Will be fishing from a boat in a rocky upland reservoir for spotted bass. I already have a very good rod for 3.1 lb. ester line.

I have many years of experience fishing with 4, 6 and 8 lb. line and might later try another JDM rod for 6 lb. test line. 8 lb. test rod needs are well covered by some top of the line Diawa, St. Croix, Loomis and Shimano rods. I have read lots of Alphahawk posts, seen some of his videos and read posts on various forums from several guys who seem to have some knowledge and experience with L/UL JDM rods. I would appreciate advise from anyone who has experience with longer UL/L action JDM rods and 4 lb. mono/copoly line. Thanks.
Check out the Blue Current TZ 7' 2". Yamaga Blanks web page has great info on their rods...reel sizing...bending curve...etc.

Regards

https://yamaga-blanks.com/product/light ... nt-tznano/

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am

I myself will be picking up a Yamaga Blank Blue Current for kinda mixed crappie and SM fishing. haven't decided which one - TZ/TZ NANO or the new Blue current III

Randy, can I ask if you have a preferred make or series of JDM light game rod given similar price points say 300$? in terms of sensitivity and versatility. there are far too many options out there (shimano, daiwa, evergreen, thirty four, yamaga, tenryu, olympic, jackson, major craft, Gamakatsu, tict, nissin...you name it) and I've tried my best to hide my wallet...LOL

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am
I myself will be picking up a Yamaga Blank Blue Current for kinda mixed crappie and SM fishing. haven't decided which one - TZ/TZ NANO or the new Blue current III

Randy, can I ask if you have a preferred make or series of JDM light game rod given similar price points say 300$? in terms of sensitivity and versatility. there are far too many options out there (shimano, daiwa, evergreen, thirty four, yamaga, tenryu, olympic, jackson, major craft, Gamakatsu, tict, nissin...you name it) and I've tried my best to hide my wallet...LOL
When you get to the 300 dollar mark....or around it maybe a little more......for sensitivity you start splitting hairs....and really the same for versatility in the high end rods. I find the TenRyu and Graphiteleader rods to be...at least from the brands I own.....the ones with the highest build quality. But out of all the rods I own I don’t want to give any of them up. If I had to pick one brand....one model of rod for sensitivity and for versatility for all the specie I fish for......it would most likely be the TenRyu Lunakia. It really is a true hybrid......somewhere between an Ajing and a Mebaru rod. It can give me fun with bluegill......yet tame Smallies and white bass...and is great for crappie.

Regards