1st time. BFS Aldebaran: Quick braid vs fluro question

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

1st time. BFS Aldebaran: Quick braid vs fluro question

Post by ultralight » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm

My schedule is limiting so it took a while but I finally got my16 Aldebaran BFS w. Avail spool set up and test casted today. First time casting with a baitcaster. I was not actually fishing but can say that the feeling of the casting rhythm just feels a lot nicer than the spinning reel. Cast, line in, snap thumb bar, recast. Not having to open and close bail while gripping the line with the 1st finger just feels more organic. Smoother. Not abandoning my spinning reels but this is likely going to add a new tool....

I was casting 1/32oz minijig.

1. I set the spool tension so that the jig very slowly dropped with gravity.
2. I started test casting from max magnetic brake all the way down to the lowest setting. (6 to 1)
3. I used 8 lbs Gliss (which is somewhat like Nanofil I think).
4. I had a bunch of birdsnests but they all were resolved pretty easily. I was pushing it to see how low I can set the magnetic brake without birdnesting. I could get all the way down to 2 with wind behind my back. Not sure what that would be in a calm day.

Since I am actually going to fish with this on Wed and do not have time to go back on the water to retest, I hope you guys don't mind a couple of questions:

Questions:
1. Will the casting behavior change much if I change over to 2 lbs fluorocarbon? If yes, how will it change?

2. With birdnests, the line gets very kinked. With braided 'type' lines including the Gliss, the kinks do not harm the line. If I change over to 2 lbs fluorocarbon, would the kinks not weaken the line severely?

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope to connect with some trout on Wed.

ps: WIth the minijig, I was casting a little over 40 feet without wind. Wind aided, it was 50+ feet. Since the rod is only 4' 7" and it is my first outing ever, I hope with a more typical rod and experience that I can go considerably further. The spinning reels were casting a lot further - not surprisingly. Windedaided, the spin reel was going about 90 feet.

alanmacias541
Angler
Angler

Re: 1st time. BFS Aldebaran: Quick braid vs fluro question

Post by alanmacias541 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm

I know nanofil lines are supposed to be awful for baitcasters. You might want to try varvias. Sorry to not be much help.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Any time flouro is bent sharply, it weakens significantly. Remember, it is just a bunch of various crystals fused together. Think of a water hose filled with sand. It doesn't fold very easily and kinks if you even look at it wrong.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks.

HooHoorjoo, so you don't use UL fluoro for BFS or do you?

Thanks.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I use 4 and 6lb Nanofil on one of my casting outfits.
The problem with lines like this is that they are supposed to be completely round lines and when you get a backlash,
they tend to dig into the spool. That said, I've tuned my reel in well and haven't had this issue with Nanofil. I'm using Samurai on my other BFS's rigs. No straight fluoro.

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:25 pm

I don't know how much difference it would make switching over from braid to fluoro, but I can tell you that there was a big difference casting 1~2g lures from using 8lbs SS8 PP to 2lb Nanofil. The weight of the line affected the tiny lures a whole lot.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm

If you want to use a line other than braid, I'd use mono. I don't believe there are any advantages to fluoro below about 10lb, but all the disadvantages are magnified.