Smallest diameter swivel/quick clip/fastach clip/snap clip

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Smallest diameter swivel/quick clip/fastach clip/snap clip

Post by patrickrio » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi folks,

I am just starting with ultralight baitcasters and am looking for the smallest diameter linking between my braided main line and flouro shock leader. The link would make it so leader can be changed without shortening main line every time. Direct tie causes premature shortening of the braid main line......

The goal also is to have something small enough diameter that it can be wound through rod tip and eyes, as well as level wind, so that I can switch spools easily (My idea is to have different weight line on multiple spools so I can quick change...) so if it had some rubber or plastic protection for the SiC eyelets, that would be cool in case i get over-exuberant during reeling.

I could also just tie a double loop at the end of my main line and then I could take the swivel off easily before switching spools......

since I don't plan on using stronger than 6 lb test on these, 10 lb test on the links would be fine... maybe even lighter for the lighter lines.

anyway, suggestions appreciated.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Smallest diameter swivel/quick clip/fastach clip/snap clip

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 pm

I like the Owner Cultiva 000 snaps. They are tiny and crazy strong. I use A LOT of BFS gear and these snaps are the only ones I have tried that dont hinder the action of tiny cranks.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:28 pm

When I was doing a lot of BFS casting I used these...

Absolutely nothing compares for ease and strength. Pretty sure they were made from NiTi.

If you can scoure the net its worth your while - I have 8 packets in what's seems to be in existence in Aus since their discontinued state here... That washer on my finger is a handle knob washer for size reference.
Attachments
IMG_20200225_122234.jpg
IMG_20200225_122234.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
IMG_20200225_122216.jpg
IMG_20200225_122216.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
IMG_20200225_122205.jpg
IMG_20200225_122205.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 7673 times

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 pm

wow, those pontoon21.com clips are small. I found the manufacturer site for them, so maybe I can find them somewhere nearby where shipping wont cost 20. I think those are really good for connecting leader to lure?

I am now thinking to find the smallest solid rings or ovals for the line/leader connection. its hard to find the sizes but the Owner Cultiva p-19 3.5# has a solid ring with a 3.5mm inner diameter and 5.3mm outer diameter. strength is 73KG so way overkill. seems like there should be something smaller still somewhere....

an oval might be better.....

ok, I think I have a winner. from fly fishing tackle. Called a "Micro Tippet Ring" solid rings 1.5mm outer diameter 20lb test. Gotta use hemostats to put them on the mainline. Threading leader is like threading a hook... pull your leader through the palimar end.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 am

Checking out the Pontoon 21 site and they have some really cool lures. Any idea of where to purchase them aside from the Bay?
just hotdogin it

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

no idea where to buy Pontoon21 stuff yet. I think we can't post here anyway....

So I have ordered the following for testing:

Patridge ATR tippet rings 1mm
Partridge HRS rapid snaps 2mm
tactical anglers micro power clips 25lb

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 am

Man, I don't know about reeling anything metal through line guides, regardless of how small it is. Aside from the obvious risk of guide damage, I would think casting distance would suffer - it does a tiny bit even with the smallest profile leader knot, it would have to be exponentially worse with metal. Just my thoughts on it.

I understand your point about losing a bit of mainline length on each subsequent leader tie. I run braid with a leader on pretty much every rig I own and have gotten pretty good at knowing how long to leave my tag ends as to minimize braid loss - I have it dialed in to around 1" - 1 1/2"lost which isn't a whole lot. Factor in that I run cheap mono as filler before spooling the braid, I get quite a good life from a spool of braid.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

I only plan on reeling it through the guides when changing spools and when putting gear away for the day. The leader will be short enough for the ring to stay outside the tip top all day.

BUT mistakes can happen..... so I hope for it to be small enough that it wont really cause too much issue... especially if I cover it with some flouro or something.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:11 pm

But, maybe I need to rethink it too... gonna see how well it works....

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Mr ULJersey, How long of leader do you use on your bfs setup? what brands and tests are you using???

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm

patrickrio wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Mr ULJersey, How long of leader do you use on your bfs setup? what brands and tests are you using???
I run Sufix Performance braid (10 lb test, 4 lb equivalent diameter) as a mainline with 4 lb Sufix Advanced mono as a leader. I'm in the minority on the leader, I actually like the little bit of stretch or shock absorbtion it offers, I'm not a fan of fluoro at all. I run very long leaders, well over 6'. This allows me many opportunities to change baits and keeps the easily seen braid far away from the bait. Plus I'm frugal (nice word for cheap) and using a leader keeps my braid on longer. I like the way braid behaves, especially on small spools like found on BFS.

I've been using this leader knot for years, it's never failed me. I've broken off and been broken off by fish, but never at the leader knot. Plus it's easy to tie on board ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92R9F9ZNi2I

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks for that info... I was planning to use 6lb braid and 6lb flouro most of the time.

I got a crazy deal on 2lb nanofil and 2lb pline halo so i am going to do a test with that too, but that is probably gonna be too small...... but I got both rolls for less than $10 so it was worth it to kill my curiosity.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:09 pm

I ran 6lb Platypus Classic "brown coloured" mono and always had a ball. Tried ultra fine 3lb test and Yeh wasn't a great experience. You don't need to cast more than 10 meters around here as ijt was tight water fishing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 pm

patrickrio wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm
Thanks for that info... I was planning to use 6lb braid and 6lb flouro most of the time.

I got a crazy deal on 2lb nanofil and 2lb pline halo so i am going to do a test with that too, but that is probably gonna be too small...... but I got both rolls for less than $10 so it was worth it to kill my curiosity.
I used 2lb Nanofil for a long time. Just be careful with your leader knot. It casts micro jigs like a dream with BFS
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing