Getting into BFS - Zodias/Expride + 16 Alde BFS XG?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting into BFS - Zodias/Expride + 16 Alde BFS XG?

Post by bwjay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:51 pm

I'm looking to get into pseudo-BFS for bass fishing and think a mid-6ft L-ML rod would be the sweet spot for me. I know there are tons of options in JDM but it's overwhelming, honestly. So many brands of rods and reels and customization options. I'd like to keep it simple for my first BFS setup. I'm looking to throw light Ned heads with finesse TRD worms and CrawZ, size 1/2 inline spinners, maybe the occasional finesse jig and 4" Senko, maybe 1/8oz head + 2-3" swimbait. This is right on the edge of BFS, I think, but I think the term still fits. I want to do both bottom contact and moving baits, which seems isn't that uncommon to do with BFS rods since they are still pretty soft even with XF tapers.

I'm trying not to completely break the bank on this. I looked at Shimano's BFS rod offerings and found 2 options that sound like they fit my goals, the Expride 164L-BFS and Zodias 164L-BFS. I like Shimano and have enjoyed Exprides thus far, so it made sense to take a look at a brand I was familiar with.

Both are 1 piece rods (something I'd prefer unless someone can tell me why I should prefer a 2+ piece). Both should be pretty sensitive, I'd think... I don't need anything beyond Expride level of sensitivity. The Zodias has a very slightly higher lure rating, but I imagine both rods fish pretty similar. I'm leaning toward the Zodias for price. Both rods seem like they shouldn't have an issue throwing the lures I mentioned before.

As for reel, I've read good things about the 2016 Aldebaran BFS XG. It seems like a sweet reel, spendy though. I haven't seen many on the used market, so I'd probably just buy new. Are there any other reels I should consider, maybe around the ~$225 mark (considering the Aldy is ~$300), that are almost as good as the Aldebaran?

Please let me know if I'm making any incorrect assumptions. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Getting into BFS - Zodias/Expride + 16 Alde BFS XG?

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Looks like you have done your research and narrowed it down to the best performing Rod/Reel in your budget w/room for performance/dress up upgrades for the reel. The 16 Aldebaran will handle down to 2.5 gram pretty well. If looking to cast even lighter or for more control you can upgrade spool to the Avail 16ald15r w/ magnets or check out the roro spool (Great performance for the money and comes w/ magnets). If you search on Buyee you can find the discontinued and highly sought after Shimano Expride 165L BFS. I was able to get one for $130 shipped. Another rod that is even more sensitive, lighter, torzite guides is the Major Craft MS-X Limited. I have both the mlc-65ul/bf and MLC-67L/BF, they are on the same level with bfs rods I own that are 2-3 times its cost. Welcome to BFS! Careful it gets addicting, in the past year I have over 10 BFS Rod/Reel combos.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Shimano 16 Aldebaran BFS XG w/ Avail16ald15r spool and magnets.

Major Craft MS-X Limited MLC-65UL/BF Rod

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Keep a lookout for this rare BFS gem

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Dont sleep on the Scorpion BFS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Does no one love the Pixy anymore? They take a bit of thumb to cast well with 1/8oz lures but you can find ones in great condition for ~$150 or leas.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Double.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm
Does no one love the Pixy anymore? They take a bit of thumb to cast well with 1/8oz lures but you can find ones in great condition for ~$150 or leas.
I like the Pixy. The OP said they were new to BFS so, Pixy could turn the OP away after having certain expectations.

A lot of the techniques the OP posted were techniques that usually would call for faster gear ratios, especially with lighter baits. I went from a 6.8 PX Type-R (great, smooth reel btw) to a 12 Aldebaran BFS and I think an SS AIR or T3 AIR... idk for certain as it was many moons ago. However, the 8 speed gears were way noticeable. Made easy work fishing weightless worms and such.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm
I like the Pixy. The OP said they were new to BFS so, Pixy could turn the OP away after having certain expectations.

A lot of the techniques the OP posted were techniques that usually would call for faster gear ratios, especially with lighter baits. I went from a 6.8 PX Type-R (great, smooth reel btw) to a 12 Aldebaran BFS and I think an SS AIR or T3 AIR... idk for certain as it was many moons ago. However, the 8 speed gears were way noticeable. Made easy work fishing weightless worms and such.
I see it differently, most of the presentations OP is talking about are going to end up weighing at least 3/16-1/4oz, so a modern bfs reel seems like overkill as little of it’s casting ability will be utilized.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:58 am

Downside of XG reel IMO is throwing tiny swimbaits. Personally I catch no fish on paddletails unless I am using a 6 ratio.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:36 am

I would also pick up a ML rod and a higher capacity finesse reel for some of the baits you intend to throw. You're not going to have enough capacity for an 1/8 oz head and even a tiny plastic with the Alde BFS. My Airy Red Pixy spool barely holds enough line for that.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:48 am

Honestly I would look at an Alphas CT or Alde 30. Also don't write off 2pc rods. If you're importing from overseas the shipping cost on a 2pc can be a game changer. For the baits you intend to throw the light powered shimano BFS should fit the bill. I have a ML Zodias BFS and it does really well with the baits you listed but does struggle with 1/10 oz heads and tiny plastics. For that I prefer my Majorcraft Volkey 68L BFS. I don't drop down to an ultra shallow and UL BFS spool until I drop down to my UL BFS rods or trout rods.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am
I see it differently, most of the presentations OP is talking about are going to end up weighing at least 3/16-1/4oz, so a modern bfs reel seems like overkill as little of it’s casting ability will be utilized.
I totally agree, you do not like a super shallow Avail spool to cast 3/16-1/4oz. A Chinese honeycomb spool on a T3 platform is more than enough and relatively cheap with all the gear ratios you want. Magforce 3D is almost child proof.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 08, 2020 4:43 am

Pen3 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am
I totally agree, you do not like a super shallow Avail spool to cast 3/16-1/4oz. A Chinese honeycomb spool on a T3 platform is more than enough and relatively cheap with all the gear ratios you want. Magforce 3D is almost child proof.
Even then line cap would be extremely limited for 3/16 oz let alone 1/4 oz.