Bobber & Jig Tangles

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bobber & Jig Tangles

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed May 06, 2020 7:19 am

I really enjoy fishing lake for trout using the bobber/jig method but to often the leader wraps around the mainline on the cast.
I am using braid mainline with fluro leader anywhere from 4'- 9' in length. A pain to cast with a fixed bobber but deadly on trout down near the bottom of this shallow lake.

My issue is approx 50% of casts result in the leader wrapping around mainline above bobber on the cast.
Any others use this technique and have found a resolution?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Bobber & Jig Tangles

Post by prybis » Wed May 06, 2020 8:50 am

Why not use a slip float at that depth?
Mike P.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 am

I don't cast with that much line between bobber and jig but in general it helps to stop the cast with your finger on the spool before the rig hits the water. This allows the jig to go past the bobber. Also a very smooth casting stroke is required.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 pm

prybis wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:50 am
Why not use a slip float at that depth?

Slip float pulls the jig up off the bottom as it is being retrieved.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed May 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Knotty wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 am
I don't cast with that much line between bobber and jig but in general it helps to stop the cast with your finger on the spool before the rig hits the water. This allows the jig to go past the bobber. Also a very smooth casting stroke is required.

Yes this works well when casting bobber/eggs for the larger species using shorter leader and the bait is much heavier. Since the jig is lighter than the bobber I am not having much luck in getting it to fly by the bobber before landing. It gets real ugly when windy......

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Wed May 06, 2020 2:57 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:11 pm
Knotty wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 am

Yes this works well when casting bobber/eggs for the larger species using shorter leader and the bait is much heavier. Since the jig is lighter than the bobber I am not having much luck in getting it to fly by the bobber before landing. It gets real ugly when windy......
You need to add some split shot between the fly and float. If you don't, you will continue to have this problem.
Mike P.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 pm

I fish with bobbers and jigs quite a bit for trout and have noticed that a longer rod and a sidearm cast works best for me. I swing the rod back and let it load up, and let the line settle below the bobber before casting. I have found that whipping the cast has been tough with a bobber and 4-6 foot leader. Just be fluid with the cast. It may decrease distance by a bit but its the only way I have found to cast and not constantly tangle.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat May 09, 2020 12:56 am

A couple of methods to reduce jig tangles.

First I would use more stiff line, as it's less prone to air currents/vortexes that spirals that line and jig.

Second I put more of a arc, and much higher lob. This reduces the parallel lines and reduces the chance of line/jig tangle.

Third I use a few split shots along the line. In fact I actually prefer tying up multiple swivels instead if I really want to be methodical. The added weight along the leader line prevents tangles but is not fool proof because soft lines will wrap around the weights too and that's another problem in itself.

As much as I prefer to slip bobber rig, sometimes the fixed length is more effective.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Sat May 16, 2020 12:02 pm

I usually side arm or angle upwards cast with an 8ft rod while wading. I'll let the fly or jig just touch the water and then cast. The jig or fly will follow the bubble, and just before it lands on the water will straighten the rig out by palming the spool. It does take some practice and a longer rod helps which you are using.

You might want to research the Inno Bombarda float. It comes in three densities and is really not a float but helps you cast light flies or jigs long distances with less tangles. The Europeans use them for sea run trout and i don't see why they would not work here in the US.

https://bombardashop.com/en/

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon May 18, 2020 5:29 am

I am posting this not because of any personal expertise but in hope it will help out 1nutinthewater.

I fished Dale Hollow lake with a guide and we used the Float n Fly technique several years ago. That technique seems to be very similar to what you are doing. We used a weighted bobber and a jig(fly) that was about 1/32, as you stated we did not use a slip bobber as that would pull the jig up in the water column on the retrieve. He also stated that the light weight jig would not reliably pull thru a slip bobber to the desired depth.

He used very long spinning rods, 9 foot if I remember correctly. The main line was braid to a three way swivel with the bobber on one eye and a leader of fluor on the third eye. The casting technique was to let the lure hit the water on your back cast and then complete your forward cast. You did not let it lay on the water, as soon as you heard or felt the jig hit you went forward. He had different length rods that he went to if he needed a longer leader. The length of the leader was determined by how deep he was marking fish on his electronics. I believe he said he had rods up to 12 or 14 feet.

This was a one time deal for me but I don't remember having any trouble with the rig tangling. Hope it helps.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am

timinmo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:29 am
He used very long spinning rods, 9 foot if I remember correctly. The main line was braid to a three way swivel with the bobber on one eye and a leader of fluor on the third eye.
How much line between the bobber and 3-way swivel?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 am

The bobber was hooked directly into one eye of the three way swivel. Main line to one eye and leader to one eye. Sorry if my explanation was not clear.

After the cast you would "work" the jig by shaking the rod. After three days of fishing and shaking a long rod my wrist was killing me.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon May 18, 2020 5:44 pm

I'm using a custom made NFC 901- 9' in length.
Casting side arm is not an option as the lake is loaded with standing snags. I will give the 3 way swivel idea a try.

I use the same technique for salmon when throwing eggs and never have a problem getting the eggs to lay out right at the end of the cast. Only difference is the weight of the eggs compared to the weight of a fly- The eggs have no problem passing the bobber before landing but the light weight fly does not.