Baitcaster Casting Video

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Baitcaster Casting Video

Post by prybis » Fri May 08, 2020 4:58 pm

I have seen alot of talk about the casting abilities of Angler Saito. I recently stumbled upon a video of him teaching someone how to cast. It is interesting to say the least. I wish I could understand what he is saying. Would be nice if someone could translate. With the ability of being able to slow the speed of the video on youtube it is interesting in watching his casting skills at work. Gives me something to shoot for. Here is the link.

Mike P.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Baitcaster Casting Video

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks,

These videos are really useful for the guys like me that use BFS to trout fishing in small streams.
I spent a lot of time looking and learning and I still do.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 pm

Super efficient casting. Small motions and using the loading of the rod to almost shoot the lures where he wants. I've never even seen, or thought to use some of the motions he was using. Some could really come in handy with overhanging branches, or other obstacles. An english translation would be really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm

domthewon wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 pm
Super efficient casting. Small motions and using the loading of the rod to almost shoot the lures where he wants. I've never even seen, or thought to use some of the motions he was using. Some could really come in handy with overhanging branches, or other obstacles. An english translation would be really nice. Thanks for sharing.
If you have not see the videos of him on the water, take a sec and look one up. Stream Trout casting is nuts in general but he is a master, he is shooting pool with $25 minnow lures into spots that I wouldn't throw a $6 Rapala into. The rods are built for casting like this, but I would still end up with a new scalp-piercing if I tried it with one.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm
domthewon wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 pm
If you have not see the videos of him on the water, take a sec and look one up. Stream Trout casting is nuts in general but he is a master, he is shooting pool with $25 minnow lures into spots that I wouldn't throw a $6 Rapala into. The rods are built for casting like this, but I would still end up with a new scalp-piercing if I tried it with one.
I haven't seen him casting before this video. I'll definitely check some out. Luckily I have a stream with trout less than a mile from my house to practice. It will give me something new to work on. I'm pretty decent, but this dude's on another level. I haven't had any scalp piercings yet, but I did have a small jerkbait fly into my bicep with both little hooks yanking it out of a tree. Thankfully they were barbless unlike the MB 110 hook that went through my thumb. That was horrible!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 7:43 pm

domthewon wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 pm
I haven't seen him casting before this video. I'll definitely check some out. Luckily I have a stream with trout less than a mile from my house to practice. It will give me something new to work on. I'm pretty decent, but this dude's on another level. I haven't had any scalp piercings yet, but I did have a small jerkbait fly into my bicep with both little hooks yanking it out of a tree. Thankfully they were barbless unlike the MB 110 hook that went through my thumb. That was horrible!
I believe stream trout casting to be the final form of fishing mania. You spend $1500 on a special noodle rod and tuned vintage Abu, another $4000 on an Edwardian Dandy outfit to fish in, and you throw $25 cranks to catch some 6" fish and have a high old time doing it.

I am not even knocking the guy, I love everything about him/his ascots and he is at the very top of the list of random strangers I would like to fish with.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Fri May 08, 2020 7:46 pm

Here is the link to his youtube channel which is the Enjoy Fishing Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQAta ... Z6zmESV92w
Mike P.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 pm

To be fair non of his stuff is "off the shelf" - tools made to suit individual technique.

I followed him on IG for ages, very smart living and mannered gent.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 pm
To be fair non of his stuff is "off the shelf" - tools made to suit individual technique.

I followed him on IG for ages, very smart living and mannered gent.
Yeah, he is the very definition of dapper. I really get a kick out of him and I am glad there are rare models like that walking the earth. I randomly found his videos and it was one of the things that put me on the jdm tackle track.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri May 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Yeah I'm noticing after trying one of his techniques in my pool the rods I have just don't work the way some as his are tuned. Still fun trying something different, and really cool to watch him put in work. I like BFS trout fishing a lot but don't spend nearly the time, or effort I spend chasing those big green girls. When I see guys like him doing these new to me techniques it always makes me want to step my game up. For now I'll work with what i've got though. :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Some of the casting techniques sort of kind of cross over to fishing with a short and light spinning rod, but obviously with none of the fine accuracy. I fish a lot of really overgrown ponds and sometimes I only have my body width to cast in. Watching his stuff has made be think about 1, how to cast with the rod at "odd" positions, and 2, how to think about casting with very small, easy movements.

My wife watched a few of his videos with me and decided that she wanted to learn how to cast like that, so I posted a thread maybe a year or three ago asking for advice for intro gear. She looked at rods and reels a little and lost interest but I kinda want to dangle it infront if her again and see if she wants to give it a try for real.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:11 am

I swear this guy is my japanese doppelgänger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhEOV4rMrg0

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 am

Ahh good memories brought back from travelling the northern part of the South Island of NZ, some familiar scenes and Countdown supermarkets "Woolworths" ha ha they were great.

Those streams were hard to fish, they run super fast and are icy cold, the river stones also give way under foot and 3 feet of the edge can just crumple into the river without notice.

At the start you see Saito twist / pendulum / whip cast, those lures look at that point heavy, also you never seem to see a shallow spool, as I would've thought a cast would've seen near empty a shallow spool if that was what he was using. Not that you need more than 30 meters or slightly more on any light weight BFS (proper set) system.

I have a feeling those lures aren't as light as I first thought...
Attachments
IMG_20200510_213555.jpg
IMG_20200510_213555.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 10094 times

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 10, 2020 2:02 pm

There Megabass had a few pseudo-UL sticks with the Toothpick and the Reservoir dog. I didn’t own the Toothpick but the Reservoir Dog was a favorite for MB Pop Xs and a small EG popper. I wasn’t as good a caster as this gentleman but the rod came in handy in tight spots.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm

I remember when he first came up on the forum, maybe a year ago. I was surprised to see him using 1/4 oz, 7g, lures in very small streams. It helped change my perspective and understanding of what can work. Today I practiced in my yard with 7 and 4 gram lures on a Kuying 5' rod rated 1-7 g. I'm getting better but no where close to Angler Saito. I just can't figure out how he gets that 180⁰ rod bend in his back cast. Well, that and just about everything else!