Baitcaster Casting Video

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Baitcaster Casting Video

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 10, 2020 7:52 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm
I was surprised to see him using 1/4 oz, 7g, lures in very small streams.
Smoking gun. Christ I can cast 7gr with 30lb on a 4-7kg 5'8" with an old G / E / K series Curado a fair way
- maybe not with as much flair and overall gentlemanly pizazz...

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:52 pm
Knotty wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm
I was surprised to see him using 1/4 oz, 7g, lures in very small streams.
Smoking gun. Christ I can cast 7gr with 30lb on a 4-7kg 5'8" with an old G / E / K series Curado a fair way
- maybe not with as much flair and overall gentlemanly pizazz...
I think most of us can cast 7 g w/o problem. It's all about dong it with limited motion and pinpoint accuracy. That's what set Angler Saito apart.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Comes down to the rod build and technique.

I just bought two old9 early 1990's pistol gripped glass blanked rods and you can really use the tip to cast without the need to swing the whole rod. That parabolic bend they deliver is just something Graphite / carbon rods can't. I really come to enjoy my MC Corrza Catfish which is fine glass - certainly plays much nicer than the Graphite / carbon rods.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Hard to find...and even harder to come by. Didn't help that I thought Mark Spider was a custom rod builder. Magic ingredient...Boron (also found in the EG Rapid Gunner)

https://www.club-casket.com/item/view.cgi?item_id=14443

Who would have thought that you need to match your rod components to your high end watch...

https://www.club-casket.com/item/view.cgi?item_id=14443

I think Saito buys everything he owns at this store..rods, reels, lures, shoes, even his ascots.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 12, 2020 8:22 pm

I will add the flexible rod is a must with his flip style cast. My Tsurinoya rod I use works pretty well and doesnt have Boron. It also helps to overload the rod a little. The release point can be awkward but, it is a technique that is FUNctional.

I also set my brakes on the lower side to ensure the lure flies straight as possible.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 am
Ahh good memories brought back from travelling the northern part of the South Island of NZ, some familiar scenes and Countdown supermarkets "Woolworths" ha ha they were great.

Those streams were hard to fish, they run super fast and are icy cold, the river stones also give way under foot and 3 feet of the edge can just crumple into the river without notice.

At the start you see Saito twist / pendulum / whip cast, those lures look at that point heavy, also you never seem to see a shallow spool, as I would've thought a cast would've seen near empty a shallow spool if that was what he was using. Not that you need more than 30 meters or slightly more on any light weight BFS (proper set) system.

I have a feeling those lures aren't as light as I first thought...
Anyone have any idea what happened to Angler Saito and his Enjoy Fishing Channel, it has disappeared from YouTube. Does he still have an Insta? Link..
Over the past year, I have geared up and started practicing this type of fishing and would love to review some of his old videos. I can clear up some misconceptions regarding his gear and most importantly lure size. Saito most commonly uses an Anglo G411 rod, custom placed on a Casket handle. This rod does not function well over 5 grams (I have it). The lure in forefront of the picture is a Casket Balsa Trad 50mm, which maxes out at 4.7 grams for the HS an more commonly 3.7 for the S. (I have a few of each) They do make larger lures, but I have never noticed him using one on the Anglo rod which is in most of his videos. I don't know where this misconception started, but have seen it repeated in several forums.

Anyway, Where's Saito?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:45 am

Saito is on IG.

I think they were referring to his older videos. He definitely was casting more than 4gr in most of those videos.

He recently been promoting the G411 quite a bit so, natural he is using it more.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:12 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:45 am
Saito is on IG.

I think they were referring to his older videos. He definitely was casting more than 4gr in most of those videos.

He recently been promoting the G411 quite a bit so, natural he is using it more.
I appriciate the info. Could you provide a link to his Insta, I can't find it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:46 pm

https://instagram.com/angler__saito?igs ... E1ZTI0Zg==

Mostly just random humble flexing in his posts.

The Roofer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by The Roofer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:03 pm

Why am I not able to view the video link. Say's private on my end? Scott