Aldebaran BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Aldebaran BFS

Post by prybis » Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 pm

My Aldebaran 16 BFS XG arrived from Japan today. I went ahead and spooled up with some Hi-Vis Yellow 6# suffix elite, added the extra 2 magnets, and put in on my 1.8M Ace Hawk CU double with the UL tip. Tied on a 1/16 ounce crank without the hooks and went to test casting. I did not do anything extra to the reel like cleaning and tuning. I am extremely pleased with the purchase. As a beginner with a year a couple years of casting reel use, I am able to get the brakes down to 4 and cast this lure 45 to 55 feet without much force. Sort of you a rolling forward cast. This setup is extremely lighter than using my Revo S4 with an aftermarket BFS Spool from AliExpress. I wish I would have purchased this reel sooner. I can also see me getting a few more of these or even trying some other high end BFS reels.
Mike P.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aldebaran BFS

Post by Knotty » Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 am

I have the same rod/reel combo and it does cast 1/16th a dream. Try to see how low you can go. My casting falls apart below 1.6 g. One of my favorite features of the Aldebaran is the click drag. It's nice getting that instant notification that line is being taken.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aldebaran BFS

Post by ss30378 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:36 am

I have the same reel on a UL major craft rod. I have gone down to 1.3g with the stock spool and HH air bfs bearings but below that accuracy and control suffers.

With the avail spool and custom rod built off a phenix trout blank under 1g is possible, I've gone down to .67g with no backlash but 25-30ft or so distance is about the max I can get with something that light.