BFS Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS Rods

Post by timinmo » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 am

I am asking for help in designing a line of BFS rods. This is a hypothetical deal, I am not really going to manufacture a line of rods but I wonder what people would want if they could design their own BFS rod. Interested in line rating, lure rating, lengths and action. Can you help me out.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS Rods

Post by ss30378 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 am

If it were my choice I'd run 4-7' lengths with a balance of soft tip and enough backbone to be useful with non exposed hook setups. My regular fast tapers seem to be to most universal, allowing to run everything from small cranks to jerkbaits and small jigs. Power would range from UL to ML to cover most bfs and power bfs options, I'd also add a UL and XUL, XF rod with a soft quick responding solid tip to be able to cast true 1g and under baits similar to an ajing rod. My final addition would be a moderate taper area trout blank rod option that is ultra soft to fish trout streams with little lures .5g and up.

My main thing with light powered rods is they need to be light in overall weight to match the 5oz and under bfs reels and be balanced with the tiny reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am

I want actual BFS rods and not trout rods. Something like the Volkey 68L and 65UL in one piece for $150 for the UDM market with warranty. Rigid M rod like power back halves of the rods for hook setting and controlling big fish with L and UL front halfs of the rods to cast small baits. Trout noodles are fine for trout and panfish but I want a USDM BFS stick on par with the benchmark Volkey BFS that is no longer in production. I want it took the part too and not like some sub $100 20 year old stick like Loomis and StCroix rods look.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm

I might be wrong, but there is bfs trout rods and bfs bass/perch rods. Both are needed. And both can be used, in varying success, for other species bfs fishing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm
I might be wrong, but there is bfs trout rods and bfs bass/perch rods. Both are needed. And both can be used, in varying success, for other species bfs fishing.
You are correct but there does seem to be a lack of BFS rods in the USDM rod market. You can probably find a few UL or L casting rods that are well suited for trout and panfish if you loo hard enough but true BFS rods are almost non existent. I just want a BFS rod on par with a Volkey BFS (my gold standard BFS stick) that is available for the USDM with warranty. $150+ for a BFS 2pc (to save shipping costs) with no warranty is a little daunting but that is what I payed for both my Volkey BFS.