Loomis TSR791S GLX

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Loomis TSR791S GLX

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:47 pm

I’m looking to pick up one soon but no one around me has one in stock to check out in person. First off is the GLX worth the extra $$$, second how is the action and sensitivity and lastly how does it compare to the other loomis Trout offerings? I’m looking for a solid all around Ul rod for trout and panfish. I have a shimano Vanquish C2000SHG for it and some 8lbs Sunline Asegai

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Loomis TSR791S GLX

Post by Senkobass1 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I had one. The GLX model was a very nice rod, but overprice in my opinion. It was a bit stiffer in the backbone but had a decently soft tip. I prefer to fish a softer taper rod, as I throw small tube jigs for trout in SoCal and felt that the rod had too fast of an action to give the jig the proper action. Hope this helps!

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Curious as to why you would choose 8# for that rod? Why not go lighter to stay within the rod’s rated range plus get the casting and line handling benefits of lighter line? Are you dealing with particularly large trout in your area?

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Knotty wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm
Curious as to why you would choose 8# for that rod? Why not go lighter to stay within the rod’s rated range plus get the casting and line handling benefits of lighter line? Are you dealing with particularly large trout in your area?
To me 8lbs braid cast just as well as 2-4lbs Fluorocarbon plus it handles better. The areas I fish in the High Sierra‘s have some decent cover to deal with. I’m running 8lbs braid to 2-4lbs sunline small game Fluorocarbon leaders

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Senkobass1 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm
I had one. The GLX model was a very nice rod, but overprice in my opinion. It was a bit stiffer in the backbone but had a decently soft tip. I prefer to fish a softer taper rod, as I throw small tube jigs for trout in SoCal and felt that the rod had too fast of an action to give the jig the proper action. Hope this helps!
Thank you for your experience and input on the GLX. I’ve tried the TSR901S, It was a nice rod but it was too soft for my liking. I envy you on fishing mini jigs, to me it’s so frustrating. I usually fish salmon eggs and Panther martins up in bishop/mammoth.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 pm
Knotty wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm
To me 8lbs braid cast just as well as 2-4lbs Fluorocarbon plus it handles better. The areas I fish in the High Sierra‘s have some decent cover to deal with. I’m running 8lbs braid to 2-4lbs sunline small game Fluorocarbon leaders
Thanks for the answer. Always trying to understand why people make the choices they do.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:52 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm
Senkobass1 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm
Thank you for your experience and input on the GLX. I’ve tried the TSR901S, It was a nice rod but it was too soft for my liking. I envy you on fishing mini jigs, to me it’s so frustrating. I usually fish salmon eggs and Panther martins up in bishop/mammoth.

Fishing mini jigs just takes practice and the right rod. It took me a while to get used to fishing the jig. I found that the rod was the culprit and it didn’t fit my style. Some people like faster rods like some of the jdm ajing rods. I prefer a moderate action more akin to a fly rod. It’s all preference. Once I figured out the jig, I tried dropshot, Split shot, etc.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm

I have both. If you blind folded me. I could not tell the difference between the GLX and non GLX. Biggest difference is the compents they are made of. GLX is slightly lighter.

mkc
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mkc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:38 pm

I only have the non-GLX and like the rod a lot, but I find the exposed reel screw threads make it less comfortable to hold compared to my Megabass rods. The GLX seems to have the same issue, which seems a shame given its price point.