SUL LMB Fun

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SUL LMB Fun

Post by Knotty » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am

The thing I love about ultralight fishing is that it can catch almost anything. First I was in our pontoon boat on Lake Wallenpaupack in PA, casting a 1.6 g jig head with a small soft plastic at the bank. Young smallies, rockbass and perch were hitting it regularly. Then things got really exciting with this nicer smallmouth. Lots of potentially hook throwing jumps. Rod was a Kuying Teton TTS662SUL with a Shimano SOARE BB C2000SSPG spooled with Shimano Sight Laser 2.4# ester. This rod provides excellent light line protection, bending deep into the blank. I prefer the sensitivity of the Major Craft Finetail Area Stage but larger fish are easier to bring in on the Teton plus the Teton can cast a Trout Magnet farther than any other rod I own.

Same rig a few days later, I was in my kayak just having fun with bluegills on a small lake in NJ when this big boy with bad lips hit the blulldog colored Trout Magnet on a 1/64 oz gold TM jig head. Being in a kayak gave me the maneuverability needed to work this fish out of the weeds. Hooking one like this from shore would have been a bad scenario.

Funny thing is I actually enjoy the panfish as much as the bass but it's the bass that usually get the photo op.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SUL LMB Fun

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

That's awesome and sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing. 8-)