Lightest 1003 Spool Size Spinning Reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Lightest 1003 Spool Size Spinning Reel?

Post by ultralight » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 pm

I've not kept up with the latest/greatest but it seems that with advancement in technology, spinning reels should have become substantially lighter with the passage of time.

What is the current lightweight state of the art in size 1003 spinning reels? And what is the weight in either gram or ounces?

I'm still running a bunch of 14 years old 1003 reels that weigh 5.5 ounces. These have landed up to 10 lbs trout on 2 lbs test including long blistering runs without problem. (Trout is all I chase.) Up to two years ago, it seems that they are still running about 5.4 ounces at the lightest end. Granted the newer reels are smoother with more bearing but my reels seem to just last forever using light test.

But I'm always interested in what's out there just for kicks. I'm a self confessed weight weenie - wanting to reduce weight as much as possible. I've reduced my rod weight just about as much as I know how but reels, I cannot build myself.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lightest 1003 Spool Size Spinning Reel?

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:03 am

ultralight wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 pm
I've not kept up with the latest/greatest but it seems that with advancement in technology, spinning reels should have become substantially lighter with the passage of time.

What is the current lightweight state of the art in size 1003 spinning reels? And what is the weight in either gram or ounces?

I'm still running a bunch of 14 years old 1003 reels that weigh 5.5 ounces. These have landed up to 10 lbs trout on 2 lbs test including long blistering runs without problem. (Trout is all I chase.) Up to two years ago, it seems that they are still running about 5.4 ounces at the lightest end. Granted the newer reels are smoother with more bearing but my reels seem to just last forever using light test.

But I'm always interested in what's out there just for kicks. I'm a self confessed weight weenie - wanting to reduce weight as much as possible. I've reduced my rod weight just about as much as I know how but reels, I cannot build myself.
On the Shimano side you have the Vanquish at 145 grams. Daiwa reels at 150 grams...the Exist.....the Ballistic FW 1000 at 160 grams....though the 4 I bought weigh in at 156 grams on my scale. Reels at 5.5 ounces are still pretty light. You can get a Soare ci4+ at 140 grams but it is a 500 series reel...unfortunately they do not have a 1000 series in that reel. Had Daiwa made the new Luvias in a 1000 size I would imagine that reel to come in at around the 140-145 gram mark, but much to my dislike they did not come out with a 1000 series.

Regards

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:24 am

Daiwa Tatula LT1000 weighs 5.8 ounces

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:40 pm

I’m currently running the Daiwa Exist LT and have had no problems bringing in big trout. It weighs at 151 grams for me on my scale and is my current lightest reel. Line capacity is insane for a 1000 reel, so I don’t get worried when I hook a 5-10lb trout. My friend just started fishing the Shimano vanquish and it is very light. Basically a new Stella without the weight.