Looking for recommandations for a UL trout rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fezken
Angler
Angler

Looking for recommandations for a UL trout rod

Post by fezken » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 am

Hello fellow fishermen.

Looking for a recommendation for a JDM UL trout rod. 7-8 foot would be ideal. I mainly fish small lures, crank baits and such. I would also like to try out some light jigheads with softbaits or live worms.

I mostly fish in a local lake and a connecting river(not very rapid though). The brown trouts usally ranges from 100 - 1000g, but there are some biggons here aswell(2-5 kg).

I will most likely purchase a shorter ul rod aswell ,but I mostly fish from land, so would like some distance in my casts.

As for budget, I could go as high as around 300 dollars +/- 20
I realise that there may not be one rod that fits what I'm looking for, so I would be open to purchase two, but at a lower pricepoint obviously.
I will have a budget for more rods later on, but I recently purchased a daiwa exist lt, so the budget is nearing max.

Thanks in advance

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for recommandations for a UL trout rod

Post by Knotty » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Giving this post a bump. Surprised no one has responded. I’m not much help as I usually focus on warm water species. That said, I’ve become a fan of Major Craft rods. Good value for JDM.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:26 am

fezken wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 am
Hello fellow fishermen.

Looking for a recommendation for a JDM UL trout rod. 7-8 foot would be ideal. I mainly fish small lures, crank baits and such. I would also like to try out some light jigheads with softbaits or live worms.

I mostly fish in a local lake and a connecting river(not very rapid though). The brown trouts usally ranges from 100 - 1000g, but there are some biggons here aswell(2-5 kg).

I will most likely purchase a shorter ul rod aswell ,but I mostly fish from land, so would like some distance in my casts.

As for budget, I could go as high as around 300 dollars +/- 20
I realise that there may not be one rod that fits what I'm looking for, so I would be open to purchase two, but at a lower pricepoint obviously.
I will have a budget for more rods later on, but I recently purchased a daiwa exist lt, so the budget is nearing max.

Thanks in advance
I can't help you out with any recommendation of a trout rod in the 7-8 foot range. On the shorter rod do you want an area trout rod or stream rod?

Regards

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for answering. I've been eyeing major craft, as they seems quite reasonable in price aswell. Just unsure which models are suitable. Should I focus on the specific trout rod categories, or would say a mebaru rod be suitable aswell?

I guess I could go lower than 7 foot for an area rod aswell. I'm more concerned about the casting distance when going down in rod length. A 6-7 would probably be good for area. The shorter rod I would like in a stream edition, as I will be fishing small rivers and creeks with it.

What carbon content would I be looking for in a jdm rod? Percentage wise. 98 % + ?

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:15 pm

The difficulty is that UL JDM trout rods are almost always shorter than 7'. If you consider Ajiing or Mebaru rods then no problem finding something suitable. If you narrow down lures & lines to be used, I'm sure you will get more useful feedback.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Fezken, check your PMs.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm

This isn't a JDM recommendation but I could get back to you on information on this particular rod as I'm getting more into trout fishing myself this will be used for s
swinging power bait rigs for distance on number 16 hooks, 4-6lb mono, variation on tungsten slide weights. looking forward to using it it's way out of my range I'm normally JDM, megabass especially. Anyhow not to digress I look forward to trying it out personally myself I look forward to seeing what you dig up JDM wise with the length that you're looking for I myself delved into it briefly but decided to just go function over form and not get too spendy either. I do have to say at first glance the guides maybe a problem aesthetically they look pretty wonky :P

Okuma SST Kokanee Casting Rod Ultra Light Action 8' 0" 2 Piece

https://okumafishingusa.com/products/ss ... libut-rods

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Also I may be blind but I may be giving you wrong suggestions if you're using a spinning setup I'm not sure if I could discern that from all the notes you laid out for us cuz I use casting equipment only also side note I'm looking heavy into probably picking up the Fenwick Eagle ultralight offerings that are also two-piece configurations with length pretty stoked on trying those as well 8-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Assuming you need a casting rod, I think this might suit your needs. I've had this in my cart for ages, still haven't pulled the trigger. It's even spiral-wrapped and 2 pc for easy transport.
Theres also a 7' ul model with a solid tip, spiral wrapped and 2 pc, also.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Major-Craft-N- ... Sw5JdehrRm
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for spinning rod at the moment. I was considering getting a bfs combo aswell, but blew my budget on some expensive reel. Will probably consider it come christmas.

Well, I mostly prefer trout spoons tbh . Also sometimed jerk/crankbaits(wobblers) and some light jigheads rigged with softplastics or live nightcrawlers. I realise that there is not a rod that would be suitable for all types of bait/tackle. Would I be able to get away with two types of rods to cover these different techniques?

I will definately take a look at the major craft rods.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 pm

fezken wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for spinning rod at the moment. I was considering getting a bfs combo aswell, but blew my budget on some expensive reel. Will probably consider it come christmas.

Well, I mostly prefer trout spoons tbh . Also sometimed jerk/crankbaits(wobblers) and some light jigheads rigged with softplastics or live nightcrawlers. I realise that there is not a rod that would be suitable for all types of bait/tackle. Would I be able to get away with two types of rods to cover these different techniques?

I will definately take a look at the major craft rods.
Sounds like you need two rods to do what you want to do. I do not own any stream trout rods but do own 4 area rods.....and another is on the way. I have 3 Fine Tail Banshee rods...a 6 foot SUL.....a 6’ 7” L action.....a 5’ 9” XUL on the way....1 Palms Egeria in a 6’ 4”, and a Fine Tail Area Stage rod 6’ 3” model. The area rods are very sensitive....the Palms not as much as the Major Craft rods I have but it is a lot of fun. There are some 7 foot plus Mebaru rods that could work out for your over 7 foot rod for trout. The Area Stage rods are in my opinion a great rod for the money spent. Had the pandemic not hit I could have given you feedback on a Daiwa Presso Limited AGS along with a Graphiteleader Super Bellezza.....unfortunately both were returned to sender as they never got off the ground in Japan. So just how much do you want to spend on each rod?

Regards

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Dang hoo-hoo that major craft looks pretty dope actually very very intriguing 8-)

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:12 pm

I will take a look at the rods mentioned. Major Craft seems like a good brand for venturing into jdm stuff. I could spend like 2 -300 dollars-ish per rod if going for two rods. If I opt for one rod I could do 4 - 500 ish. I Will purchase new stuff on a semi continuous basis aswell(i.e when I can prioritize it in my budget). I suspect this jdm adventure is going to be a decent moneysink. Oh well, better spending them on some quality stuff than going out drinking every weekend.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:27 pm

fezken wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:12 pm
.....Oh well, better spending them on some quality stuff than going out drinking every weekend.
Truth!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:22 am

I certainly agree with the Major Craft rods as a great way to get started with The JDM ultra light experience. I have several and each is really super, well built and beautiful. Alpha hawk is the master when it comes to advice on JDM rods. He has helped me a lot in going down this road. I would recommend looking at the Tenryu Rayz series of rods given your desire to use plugs on streams. I have the now discontinued (2019) Rayz RZ68LML and absolutely love it for fishing small plugs and spinners for trout. The rods are impeccable and I have really enjoyed using mine on the Chattahoochee River. I also recommend looking at the Yamaga Blanks series of rods Blue Current TZ Nano. While designed for ultra light Game salt water, I find my BlueCurrent JH-Special 67/TZ NANO especially well suited for trout. I can only say that once you get started, prepare for the ride... I have fallen hard down this rabbit hole, but wouldn’t turn back now even if I could. These JDM rods are amazing!!!