Drop shot rod recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drop shot rod recommendation

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could recommend a jdm trout rod to be used for drop shotting rainbow trout. I fish a few stocked ponds with rainbow trout ranging from 1-7 pounds. I usually use 2lb test flouro and a 3/16 ounce weight. The rod I am using now works ok for drop shotting but is too noodly and isn’t that sensitive. I don’t really have a budget I just want the best rod I can get with a good action for drop shot, while still being able to protect 2lb test, and being very sensitive. Thank you \:D/

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drop shot rod recommendation

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:26 pm

If you can find this stick somewhere....

Megabass F1-66ZKS Kirisame Limited
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks for the response Cal! That rod sure does look sweet and looks like it would be the perfect rod for what I’m trying to do. In the likely chance that I can’t locate one, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Post by aavery2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm

NRX 822 DSR is a very good drop shot rod.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 pm

I actually have the NRX 822dsr. And while it’s the best drop shot rod I’ve ever used, I don’t think it will protect the 2lb flouro I use for trout fishing. I think I need something with a lighter action

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Post by aavery2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm

GlX 820S DSR ?

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Yeah that might fit the bill. Does anyone know how the sensitivity is on the glx 820 dsr? I’m sure it’s good but how does it compare to some jdm rods?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:42 pm

You might look at the Evergreen Superior series of rods, especially the tubular tip ones like the SPRS-70L-T. These are designed to use light lines and can certainly handle larger fish. Also, the Major Craft N-One series are substantial enough for smallies and larger fish as well and they are excellent at light line applications given their tip designs. These two rods are considerably different with the N-One being what I would describe as possibly more rod than necessary for trout, but you did say you had some fairly decent sized ones you are targeting. The Evergreen has a lighter feel, but can handle the occasional toad if it comes along. Actually, the list for rods that would suit your needs is almost inexhaustible, but take a look at the specs and check out some of the YouTube videos on these two as a reference. Good luck.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 am

Expride 7' L is an awesome DS rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 pm
Yeah that might fit the bill. Does anyone know how the sensitivity is on the glx 820 dsr? I’m sure it’s good but how does it compare to some jdm rods?
Hey... what happened to JDM? :lol: http://tackletour.com/reviewgloomis17dsr820sglx.html ... note, G.Loomis read the review and have since changed the handle. I don't know what the new handle looks like though.

This continues to be my go-to drop shot rod, though I've modified the handles (yes, I have two).
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am
Bbrotz wrote:
Hey... what happened to JDM? :lol: http://tackletour.com/reviewgloomis17dsr820sglx.html ... note, G.Loomis read the review and have since changed the handle. I don't know what the new handle looks like though.

This continues to be my go-to drop shot rod, though I've modified the handles (yes, I have two).
I would rather get a jdm rod just for the fact that the build quality is so much better on my jdm rods. My Nrx’s fit and finish on the other hand leave a lot to be desired. Cal, how is the sensitivity on the glx 820s dsr compared to the Megabass F1-66ZKS Kirisame Limited? Any other jdm rod recommendations?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Cal wrote:
Bbrotz wrote:

I was wondering about where the JDM rods went as well...? I agree about the G Loomis GLX 820 being an absolutely outstanding freshwater drop shot rod. Some say it is a little light, but I really enjoy it for fishing especially when targeting spotted bass. Extremely sensitive for sure, but just not the same when comparing JDM designed ultralight rods. If targeting trout, I am a believer in how much more sensitive the JDM rods are, and their designs take into consideration the larger fish when hooked. Now saying this, I do not take my JDM ultralight equipment out when targeting larger, more aggressive species. I also don’t use 2 lb test when going after spotted bass or smallmouth. I have, however, caught some really decent bass when targeting blue gill and crappie using extremely light line (1.4 lb ester) on the JDM rods and have had decent success in landing them because of the way the designs handle the strikes, cushioning the shock, and allowing good hook sets. All this aside, I recommend giving a JDM-designed rod a try if using 2lb test line for trout. I think you will be able to tell the difference from a rod designed for the North American market. JDM ultralights are really fun.
Attachments
54B1517B-05B1-4115-A86A-96291AD0ED17.jpeg
54B1517B-05B1-4115-A86A-96291AD0ED17.jpeg (62.69 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
Last edited by ftl1951 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm

I tangle with larger fish quite often on JDM UL rods....no 7 pound trout though. I have a 2017 Finezza Prototype that is not much fun catching crappie and bluegill on. It is superb rod for smallies...white bass......even large mouth. I use area trout rods to target Spotted bass in the 15-17 inch range and have a ball...but the rod is an 6' 7" model and is very good at protecting 2.3# ester mono. I have some 6 footers that it is very difficult to get them in with the very light ester line...just not enough rod length to protect the line. I have dropped shot on and off and my rod of choice for that is an ajing rod. There are many good ones in the 6.5 to over 7 foot range. To me they make an ideal drop shot rod due to the sensitivity and being a very rigid rod....yet it will bend when you hook up. For trout in the 7 pound range there are several ajing rods that could handle them. As I said there are many but try taking a look at Graphiteleader....Ever Green...Yamaga Blanks.

Regards

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 pm
Cal wrote:
Bbrotz wrote:

I was wondering about where the JDM rods went as well...? I agree about the G Loomis GLX 820 being an absolutely outstanding freshwater drop shot rod. Some say it is a little light, but I really enjoy it for fishing especially when targeting spotted bass. Extremely sensitive for sure, but just not the same when comparing JDM designed ultralight rods. If targeting trout, I am a believer in how much more sensitive the JDM rods are, and their designs take into consideration the larger fish when hooked. Now saying this, I do not take my JDM ultralight equipment out when targeting larger, more aggressive species. I also don’t use 2 lb test when going after spotted bass or smallmouth. I have, however, caught some really decent bass when targeting blue gill and crappie using extremely light line (1.2lb ester) on the JDM rods and have had decent success in landing them because of the way the designs handle the strikes, cushioning the shock, and allowing good hook sets. All this aside, I recommend giving a JDM-designed rod a try if using 2lb test line for trout. I think you will be able to tell the difference from a rod designed for the North American market. JDM ultralights are really fun.
Thanks for the help ftl1951. I think I’m definitely going to go the jdm route on this one. Everything I have read so far has mentioned that jdm trout rods are far and above anything we have here in the states when it comes to sensitivity and fit and finish. Now I just have to narrow it down to which one :-k

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm
I tangle with larger fish quite often on JDM UL rods....no 7 pound trout though. I have a 2017 Finezza Prototype that is not much fun catching crappie and bluegill on. It is superb rod for smallies...white bass......even large mouth. I use area trout rods to target Spotted bass in the 15-17 inch range and have a ball...but the rod is an 6' 7" model and is very good at protecting 2.3# ester mono. I have some 6 footers that it is very difficult to get them in with the very light ester line...just not enough rod length to protect the line. I have dropped shot on and off and my rod of choice for that is an ajing rod. There are many good ones in the 6.5 to over 7 foot range. To me they make an ideal drop shot rod due to the sensitivity and being a very rigid rod....yet it will bend when you hook up. For trout in the 7 pound range there are several ajing rods that could handle them. As I said there are many but try taking a look at Graphiteleader....Ever Green...Yamaga Blanks.

Regards
Hey Alphahawk, I’ve actually been looking at Ajing rods because it seemed like they would have the right taper for drop shotting. I was recommended the Tenryu Lunakia LK6102S-MLT from Chris over at finesse-fishing.com but he said it wasn’t designed for fish that big and suggested a Tenryu area trout rod. Do you have any experience with that rod in particular? Or do you have any specific recommendations for an Ajing rod that would be able to handle fish that size?