Drop shot rod recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drop shot rod recommendation

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm
Alphahawk wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm
I tangle with larger fish quite often on JDM UL rods....no 7 pound trout though. I have a 2017 Finezza Prototype that is not much fun catching crappie and bluegill on. It is superb rod for smallies...white bass......even large mouth. I use area trout rods to target Spotted bass in the 15-17 inch range and have a ball...but the rod is an 6' 7" model and is very good at protecting 2.3# ester mono. I have some 6 footers that it is very difficult to get them in with the very light ester line...just not enough rod length to protect the line. I have dropped shot on and off and my rod of choice for that is an ajing rod. There are many good ones in the 6.5 to over 7 foot range. To me they make an ideal drop shot rod due to the sensitivity and being a very rigid rod....yet it will bend when you hook up. For trout in the 7 pound range there are several ajing rods that could handle them. As I said there are many but try taking a look at Graphiteleader....Ever Green...Yamaga Blanks.

Regards
Hey Alphahawk, I’ve actually been looking at Ajing rods because it seemed like they would have the right taper for drop shotting. I was recommended the Tenryu Lunakia LK6102S-MLT from Chris over at finesse-fishing.com but he said it wasn’t designed for fish that big and suggested a Tenryu area trout rod. Do you have any experience with that rod in particular? Or do you have any specific recommendations for an Ajing rod that would be able to handle fish that size?
I own the 610 Lunakia. The largest fish I have caught with it is a 20 inch Smallie in current. It can handle fish like that in flat water. I am not familiar with the TenRyu area trout rods other than researching them. Chris knows his rods for sure. If you are looking at Ajing rods over 7 feet for the job I would suggest you take a look at the 2018 Corto....Yamaga Blanks BC TZ Nano rods......they can handle the larger fish. Just remembered the Lunakia comes in a 75 model. I’m sure that could handle bigger fish and you also get great sensitivity with that rod. The blanks on the Lunakia are really good. For shorter Ajing rods I’m going to have to think a little bit. I have an MC Truzer 65 “Hard” model that I’m sure could handle big fish but it is no longer made and not sure you could find one....a brute of an Ajing rod.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:56 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 am
Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm
Alphahawk wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm
I tangle with larger fish quite often on JDM UL rods....no 7 pound trout though. I have a 2017 Finezza Prototype that is not much fun catching crappie and bluegill on. It is superb rod for smallies...white bass......even large mouth. I use area trout rods to target Spotted bass in the 15-17 inch range and have a ball...but the rod is an 6' 7" model and is very good at protecting 2.3# ester mono. I have some 6 footers that it is very difficult to get them in with the very light ester line...just not enough rod length to protect the line. I have dropped shot on and off and my rod of choice for that is an ajing rod. There are many good ones in the 6.5 to over 7 foot range. To me they make an ideal drop shot rod due to the sensitivity and being a very rigid rod....yet it will bend when you hook up. For trout in the 7 pound range there are several ajing rods that could handle them. As I said there are many but try taking a look at Graphiteleader....Ever Green...Yamaga Blanks.

Regards
Hey Alphahawk, I’ve actually been looking at Ajing rods because it seemed like they would have the right taper for drop shotting. I was recommended the Tenryu Lunakia LK6102S-MLT from Chris over at finesse-fishing.com but he said it wasn’t designed for fish that big and suggested a Tenryu area trout rod. Do you have any experience with that rod in particular? Or do you have any specific recommendations for an Ajing rod that would be able to handle fish that size?
I own the 610 Lunakia. The largest fish I have caught with it is a 20 inch Smallie in current. It can handle fish like that in flat water. I am not familiar with the TenRyu area trout rods other than researching them. Chris knows his rods for sure. If you are looking at Ajing rods over 7 feet for the job I would suggest you take a look at the 2018 Corto....Yamaga Blanks BC TZ Nano rods......they can handle the larger fish. Just remembered the Lunakia comes in a 75 model. I’m sure that could handle bigger fish and you also get great sensitivity with that rod. The blanks on the Lunakia are really good. For shorter Ajing rods I’m going to have to think a little bit. I have an MC Truzer 65 “Hard” model that I’m sure could handle big fish but it is no longer made and not sure you could find one....a brute of an Ajing rod.

Regards
Point of clarification - I had recommended the Tenryu Rayz RZ6102S-LML, a stream rod designed for catching Japanese salmon, which can reach the size of the rainbows Bbrotz reported catching. While the Tenryu Area rods are excellent rods, and some of the trout Areas in Japan are stocked with huge fish, I would not recommend any Area rod for drop shotting. They are designed for fishing micro spoons or very small crankbaits, and have softer actions that are not ideal for drop shot fishing.

Also, I know you CAN catch 7 lb fish with a Lunakia LK6102S-MLT. I just wouldn't recommend it. If there is one thing I have learned about JDM rods (and I think it was Alphahawk that actually put it into words) it is that the Japanese rods are exquisitely designed - for a particular purpose. The further you get away from that specific purpose, the less ideal the rods are. Ajing rods were designed to catch Aji - which rarely get over about 12" long and surely don't weigh a pound. Mebaru can get a bit bigger, but not a lot bigger. It turns out that Ajing rods are great for sunfish and Mebaru rods are great for crappies - which are pretty much within the design specs for those rods. At least in my opinion, the best rod for big trout is a rod designed for big trout.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 am

I hesitate to weigh in again on this, but... Chris has a really good point about how the Japanese design very specific rods. I have the previous version of the Tenryu rod he is recommending (2019RZ68LML) and have found it absolutely wonderful when using plugs and spinners on the Chattahoochee. I haven’t hooked any 7lb trout, but a couple of good ones bordering 3 lbs were a lot of fun. While I haven’t been falling down this rabbit hole for very long, I can offer my impressions that once you do, look out. The Ajing and Mebaru rods are just crazy sensitive. The lightness and responsiveness of the blanks are almost too hard to put into words. I have been blown away by how the feel is transmitted through the rod. Because of experiencing this type of sensitivity, we tend to lose the fact that they are designed to give you a heck of an encounter when catching fish that weigh merely ounces. They are, however, also designed to absorb the impact of much larger fish, but only as a result of bycatch. I have had the experience catching larger fish when targeting panfish and have just been thrilled to land them. I guess that brings me back to my original posting where I recommend Major Craft N One (I have the NSL-T682AJI) rods. This rod is an Ajing rod, but when I purchased it I was surprised at the feel, especially the backbone. I haven’t purchased an untold number of other JDM rods, although my wife may disagree, but while Japanese designs are indeed species specific, they do not build all rods the same. I believe the blank technology is where they spend significant time and effort. They truly want to “feel” the bite, and they are successful in producing equipment that does exactly that. So, it really boils down to what you are trying to experience. Drop shotting for larger trout with a feather that lets you feel a fish f#rt on the line? Or, targeting a species with a rod correctly designed to handle the catch? Just remember that this is indeed a rabbit hole. I am not nearly at the bottom yet, but am continuing the journey with my eyes wide open. These rods (all of them so far) are just amazing. One last point, Tenryu rods are extremely well-built and beautiful. As is said in the beginning, I love my Rayz and would not trade it for anything. But, I love all the rods so far and haven’t been disappointed yet...

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:49 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could recommend a jdm trout rod to be used for drop shotting rainbow trout. I fish a few stocked ponds with rainbow trout ranging from 1-7 pounds. I usually use 2lb test flouro and a 3/16 ounce weight. The rod I am using now works ok for drop shotting but is too noodly and isn’t that sensitive. I don’t really have a budget I just want the best rod I can get with a good action for drop shot, while still being able to protect 2lb test, and being very sensitive. Thank you \:D/
Your 3/16 oz casting weight is not ultralight by any means though I bet it can be launched a super long ways on 2lb test. A 3/16oz weight equals 5.3 grams which is near or above the casting limits of many area trout rods. I own a Majorcraft Finetail 632L which is designed for large pond trout but it's max lure weight is 5grams. I would look at the JDM light game rods for your needs - Yamaga Blanks, Olympic, Majorcraft etc. Using 2lb test on these rods should handle large stocked trout in a pond or lake setting since your drag will be set light and you do your part.

A good start without breaking the bank would be Majorcraft's Triple Cross series light game rods. Majorcraft offers their Triple Cross series for light game in both tubular and solid tips for up to 10 grams of casting weight with light lines. I suggest you look thru that series's specifications: [urlhttps://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/8976?lang=enurl]

You might also consider one of the Megabass finesse spinning rods in the F1 or F2 range, I had a couple on order for several months but they never made it out of Japan due to the EMS Covid shutdown and were canceled. I wanted a light to medium light rod for big stream trout using 6lb test and up to 1/4oz jigs since springtime runoff conditions in the Sierra rivers can be brutal. Not ideal for ultralight gear by any means. I plan to reorder as soon as EMS is back in service.

A quick note: I would also mention there is a wide range of fight or tenacity when targeting rainbow trout. Steelhead or large wild rainbow trout over 5lbs in a fast river setting will simply trash ultralight gear on 2lb test. These fish eat alot and are in top physical condition due to living in fast swift currents, they have to be in order to survive and grow large. The amount of head shaking, jumping, tail walking and drag stripping runs is far more than pond trout in my experience. Another con is a large trout played out over a long period on ultralight gear will have less recovery success if you practice catch and release, please consider heavier line and stiffer rods if targeting large wild trout in the rivers. I'm by no means referring to stocked trout or holdover trout here. End of soap box.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Well I ended up purchasing the Tenryu Lunakia LK6102S-MLT. I am also hoping it will double as a rod to jig mini tubes for trout. If not I have plans to build a rod for that anyways. Can’t wait to get it in and try it out. Thanks for all the help guys!

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:34 pm
Well I ended up purchasing the Tenryu Lunakia LK6102S-MLT. I am also hoping it will double as a rod to jig mini tubes for trout. If not I have plans to build a rod for that anyways. Can’t wait to get it in and try it out. Thanks for all the help guys!
Congratulations! I’m sure you will love the Lunakia. They are fabulous rods!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

This continues to be my go-to drop shot rod, though I've modified the handles (yes, I have two).
I would love to see a pic of this handle...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:24 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:22 pm
Cal wrote:

This continues to be my go-to drop shot rod, though I've modified the handles (yes, I have two).
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=83776
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:24 pm
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:22 pm
Cal wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=83776
Excellent, thanks