Abu Garcia Eradicator 6' 7" Slow Taper Special.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Abu Garcia Eradicator 6' 7" Slow Taper Special.

Post by ultralight » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 pm

A bit more data. I became very very curious about the Eradicator after Alphahawk on his youtube channel wrote twice that this rod is is favorite rod of all that he owns. So I got one just to measure. Though I never keep any of the JDM rods as I prefer to fish with what I build, I am always curious about these rods. I am impressed. Lots has already been said but from a quality point of view:

1. Abu Garcia did not skimp on the build. The 6' 7" has 8+1 guides - nine in all which is 1 more than the norm I've seen for that length. This is the Fuji TItanium Torzites so they are the most expensive guides that are routinely used for rods. More guides allows one to maximize the blank potential but cost more and adds more weight in a discernible way but the Titanium Torzites are so light that it makes no detectable difference. (I know because I weigh the guides and it takes a few hundred of these micro guides to make one ounce.)

2. The blank is fantastic. Sounds high pitched and snappy when you tap it, and they don't sand it down which gives the highest strength to weight ratio for blanks. In fact, you can still see the faint fabric/tape line on the blank. These are my favorite type of blanks - unsanded.

3. Construction is beautifully done.

4. The 6' 7" feels very responsible in its flex and should be a blast even for smaller fish. I feel that the rating of up to 3 lbs max line is correct.

Just some data points.

This reminds me a bit of the Gamakatsu Yoihime Luxxe rod that I also measured. Similar build, guide count and flex. The difference is that the Gamakatsu cost considerably higher and has an almost impossibly slim solid tip that is more flexible. But 'jigging' it, it reminds me of the Gamakatsu on the whole though that tip is more 'sensitive' if you are a tip watcher given its flexibility.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:27 am

ultralight wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 pm
A bit more data. I became very very curious about the Eradicator after Alphahawk on his youtube channel wrote twice that this rod is is favorite rod of all that he owns. So I got one just to measure. Though I never keep any of the JDM rods as I prefer to fish with what I build, I am always curious about these rods. I am impressed. Lots has already been said but from a quality point of view:

1. Abu Garcia did not skimp on the build. The 6' 7" has 8+1 guides - nine in all which is 1 more than the norm I've seen for that length. This is the Fuji TItanium Torzites so they are the most expensive guides that are routinely used for rods. More guides allows one to maximize the blank potential but cost more and adds more weight in a discernible way but the Titanium Torzites are so light that it makes no detectable difference. (I know because I weigh the guides and it takes a few hundred of these micro guides to make one ounce.)

2. The blank is fantastic. Sounds high pitched and snappy when you tap it, and they don't sand it down which gives the highest strength to weight ratio for blanks. In fact, you can still see the faint fabric/tape line on the blank. These are my favorite type of blanks - unsanded.

3. Construction is beautifully done.

4. The 6' 7" feels very responsible in its flex and should be a blast even for smaller fish. I feel that the rating of up to 3 lbs max line is correct.

Just some data points.

This reminds me a bit of the Gamakatsu Yoihime Luxxe rod that I also measured. Similar build, guide count and flex. The difference is that the Gamakatsu cost considerably higher and has an almost impossibly slim solid tip that is more flexible. But 'jigging' it, it reminds me of the Gamakatsu on the whole though that tip is more 'sensitive' if you are a tip watcher given its flexibility.

Good write up.

Regards

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you for the write up. It would be exciting to see a video from Abu Garcia on how they create these blanks. I am continually impressed with the different models using this technology. Thanks again.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:32 pm

I would love one of these blanks. In the past, I've played around the idea of just buying rods for the blanks to rebuild but that would just be tooooo crazy. :lol: