Finezza Proto vs Super Finezza

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
BlackMarlin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Finezza Proto vs Super Finezza

Post by BlackMarlin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:31 am

Hi guys,

I have Graphiteleader Finezza Prototype 842ML that I use for mackerel and aji fishing. I use it for metal jigs 5-10g, minnows and silicones 2"-4" on jighead (up to 12g with body). It is a bit soft (slow) for some minnows. Would I be better to change it with 7112ML?

if you compare Finezza Prototype 842ML to Super Finezza 7112ML, how do you rate them?

Which one is more sensitive? I´m thinking that 7112ML could be the one since it is fast action and shorter, but I´m just guessing.

Which is better for the minnows/wobblers like ryuki 50 and ryuki 70?

What is real bottom and top working range of 7112ML compared to 842ML?

My fear is that 7112ML will feel like a stronger rod when fighting a fish, and I don´t want that since I am using it for mackerel and aji.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finezza Proto vs Super Finezza

Post by Allsorts » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:57 am

I have a bit of experience with GL rods, mostly Prototype variants. I don't think the 7'11" will solve your problem. The Ryukis mentioned have high inertia, much higher than a metal jig, so an ML with a very slender hollow tip (1.2mm) may not be able to deal with the extra inertia. Mainstream trout rods that can use a Ryuki 70S have tips around 1.6-1.8mm, problem is this sort of rod is not much fun with mackerel or aji. A solid tip rod might be an option. I've got an Evergreen Super SS Super D Attacker, it's a strong rod and I believe would manage a Ryuki 70S. I've caught a lot of mackerel on it and the fight is ok, rod doesn't bend very much as it's got a very fast taper solid tip. It is very sensitive - if I am using a 7g jig, I cast out and feel for bites on the drop, they are very obvious. It's a very unusual rod designed for Caro rigs, very good for metals and jig heads from 3g up. It is a strong rod, ML tip but MH from about 50cm down. Good luck!

BlackMarlin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BlackMarlin » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 am

Thank you for your reply. You may have saved me some money :mrgreen:

Regarding Evergreen rods, do you have any experience with their Poseidon Superior line? I eas looking into them but it looks like they cost like GL Super series, but have less technology in them than even Prototype.

Are their rods generaly regarded as better option, more sensitive and fun than GL? I know GL makes blanks for them.
A friend of mine has sprs83ht and says that if GL is Mercedes, than Evergreen is AMG.

But somehow I find it hard to believe that bottled water is better than the one at the spring/source. Are evergreens really more tuned and high performing?

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:00 am

Your friend is 100% correct. Graphiteleader builds a 'standard' range of very good rods. Evergreen uses their big pro staff to create niche rods to meet very particular applications - if you buy right, you get a rod perfect for your requirements, if you get it wrong then ouch!! Evergreen use the tech where it makes a difference whereas Graphiteleader uses a rod range as a platform to roll out the tech. Depending on the application, I choose a GL or Evergreen - for bass fishing definitely Evergreen, Inspirare, Serpenti or Orion, for a river float trip targeting barbs from 1.5-10kg, GL Tiro Protoype 7'7" M. For trout I like Tenryu Rayz Spectra rods, they are good at this type of rod whereas neither GL nor Evergreen have expertise in trout / salmon rods.

I think the GL Prototype ranges are amazing and incredible value for money, but the Poseidon SS Superior are not inferior in any sense just because they have different blank tech. The rod I mentioned I have is from the Poseidon Superior range. the Super D Attacker https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... acker.html. For fishing Caro rigs and jigs, absolutely incredible. I will need a lighter rod next year for fishing small jigs for grayling, I will probably look at the https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... aster.html or a Finezza Prototype, maybe a new 2021 model is coming? If you like, I'll try a D-Coax 65 which is 8.4g, similar to the Ryuki 70S on the Super D Attacker to see how it works?