CDM spinning rod recommendation for mini jigs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
akn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

CDM spinning rod recommendation for mini jigs?

Post by akn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Hey, can anyone recommend me a ~6'6 to 7' UL rod for swimming and hopping mini jigs (soft plastics, marabou)? I've recently ordered and received a Kuying Teton 642 that I plan to use with small cranks and spoons and I also have a 5'6 St Croix Triumph UL. Water is starting to freeze here so I haven't got a chance to try the Teton yet, and I plan to retire the St Croix to small streams since I'm not too happy with the action.

From reading the forums it seems a Tsurinoya Proflex II would be ideal, but unfortunately it seems they don't make a spinning model in UL :| . Should I invest in another rod or will the Teton be fine for jigs? Thanks for your help.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: CDM spinning rod recommendation for mini jigs?

Post by Knotty » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:17 am

Don't invest in a new rod until you give the Teton a try. Do you have the UL or SUL. I have both but find myself using the SUL more. I don't own a rod that can cast a Trout Magnet farther and the rod has so much give that nothing protects light li e better when you hook into a bigger fish. I'm usually fishing 2.3# ester.

If you still want to try another CDM rod, look into the Kuying and Tsurinoya ajing rods. Very different experience than the Teton "trout rods."

akn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by akn » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Haha, thanks! I actually impulse bought the Tsurinoya ELF Ajing 602 (solid tip) and it arrived early this week. The seller said it's the better choice for jigging among their lineup. The Teton is a UL. The weather warmed up a bit and I was able to try it on the water before it froze up again (didn't get anything, though). Haven't been able to try the ELF yet but it does seem have a very soft tip with a very fast action.

With the Teton I was able to cast a 1/16 jig + plastic (~3g total) around 45' with a 1000 Shimano Sienna. Is that par for the course or is it possible to get longer casts?

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:53 pm

What line are your using.

That sounds short. With most rods and 2 lbs test, I cast 0.9 g (trout magnet) on a 1000 spinning reel to about 60 feet. 2 grams goes maybe another 15 feet. I have to check my notes on the 2 grams.

akn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by akn » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:53 am

I was using 4 lb Trilene Fluoro (with 10 lb braid backing). Although I got a nasty tangle and after getting rid of that line ended up with quite a bit of braid getting cast out (pleasantly surprised the knot got through the micro guide). The measurement was taken with the braid. Perhaps that's why haha.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Ah...your line is quite a bit heavier than mine. That may account for the short distancer....though 3 grams should have a lot more kinetic energy to pull the line.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Not a fan of using braid with mini jigs because it floats and you need to get those little jigs down. Go with flouro at first and later try ester. Buy your line based on diameter not test rating. A 2# rated US market line is probably closer to 4# in reality and IMHO 4# US market line is not very good for micro jigs because it's probably really 6# or more. I try to pick lines with a max diameter of about .16 mm or .0063". Kastking Kovert flouro is readily available and the 4# is .16mm. You won't believe the increase in casting distance when you use thin line, especially if you get down to something near a true 2#.

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:48 pm

The Proflex II does great as a UL jig rod.