JDM crappie rod suggestions

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Gearhead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

JDM crappie rod suggestions

Post by Gearhead » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Just got Diawa Kage UL from TT. Great rod. Very sensitive but a little surprised at the action. I had hoped it would load better for casting 1/16 ounce jigs tipped w 2" curly tail. There is no margin for error and you have to be dead on perfect with your cast or who knows where that jig will go. Any suggestions for a rod that will load deeper in the blank making accurate casting of crappie jigs a bit easier. Was wondering about a Rayz Alter or Lunakia or perhaps something from Major Craft. Maybe I will get used to the Diawa but curious about some of the other JDM rods.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM crappie rod suggestions

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Gearhead wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:11 pm
Just got Diawa Kage UL from TT. Great rod. Very sensitive but a little surprised at the action. I had hoped it would load better for casting 1/16 ounce jigs tipped w 2" curly tail. There is no margin for error and you have to be dead on perfect with your cast or who knows where that jig will go. Any suggestions for a rod that will load deeper in the blank making accurate casting of crappie jigs a bit easier. Was wondering about a Rayz Alter or Lunakia or perhaps something from Major Craft. Maybe I will get used to the Diawa but curious about some of the other JDM rods.
The Tict Rockin Finesse is a fantastic crappie rod. But I doubt you can find one. The next choice for me would be the Lunakia 6' 10" model. As a matter of fact the Lunakia may be the better choice as it is far more versatile than the Finesse. Then there is a very unique rod that makes crappie fishing a ton of fun...the Abu Garcia Diplomat Extreme 6' 2" model. The tip is so soft that crappie...and all other fish, will hook themselves. You will feel pressure as the tip bends and when you feel that the fish is already hooked. If you're looking for an all around rod that is also an excellent crappie rod then the Lunakia is it. I review the Lunakia...Diplomat....Tict.....along with other great JDM rods for panfish on my YouTube channel TroutMagnetMan.

Regards

Gearhead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gearhead » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. I've subscribed to your channel and have watched quite a few of your videos. I'm considering the 6"10" Lunakia.

Gearhead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gearhead » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:34 am

After watching your video on the Abu theta, I'm looking to get one of those to pair with the Lunakia. Have you been able to source a spare spool for that reel. I'm not having much luck.

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am

Gearhead - went through the exact same thing you did buying the Kage UL from TT to get into UL and had a great time with it last year with small spoons and curly tail jigs on crappies, white perch, small bass and like you I started wanting a little more. I looked into the Finesse Fishing site and after some back and forth emails with Chris (very helpful) I ended up getting a Tenryu Alter 6'2" UL rod. The rod came a few days ago and I am incredibly impressed. The rod looks almost too good to fish; fit and finish is outstanding and while I still have my Megabass and other decent bass stuff, I am more excited to use this in the spring on some 12" crappies. Best of luck on your search; lots of really good options out there and some on this forum have forgotten more than I'll ever know about UL stuff; a great resource