BFS: Ares vs. 6 other rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS: Ares vs. 6 other rods

Post by Knotty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:39 pm

In my Short BFS Rod post I explained my search for a rod that was both short, for underhand casting, and capable of handling very light lures. I followed the advice of Hobie-Wan Kenobie and ordered a Tsurinoya Ares C472UL, which my wife gave me for Christmas.

This 4'7"/1.4 m rod is listed as a 2 piece but in reality it's a 1 piece rod with a detachable handle, much like the 5' Kuying Teton TTC50FUL. On the web it's listed as having a solid tip but Hobie-Wan says the entire rod is solid. Just going to have to trust him on that. The lure rating is 1-6 g but it is definitely better at casting 1 g than the Ace Hawk CU Double 562UL which is rated .5-4 g or the Teton with it's more similar 1-7 g rating. I intended to compare the Ares to just those two other rods, as they are most similar, but once I got the camera and rod holder setup, I decided to also to document 4 other rods I have in what I would loosely consider to be the SUL and XUL range. It's also interesting to note that the Ares model number lists it as UL but the rod is marked as "EX-UL", which I think is more accurate.

Initial cast testing was done in the backyard with '16 Aldebaran BFS XG with stock spool and .16 mm 4# flouro. Started with 2.7 g and had no problems as expected. My hope was to easily go below 2 g and the next 1.4 g weight cast just fine. Of course the ultimate test is a Trout Magnet (1/64 oz jighead + plastic = 1 g) and I was pleased that the .9 g weight cast acceptably. Definitely pulled to the left but the Ares made me think that it might finally be practical to cast Trout Magnets with BFS, especially if I switch to a lighter mono or much thinner braid. The Teton and CU Double just weren't up to the challenge.

Next up was a few hours in a stream on an overcast 34F day. Cast inline spinners, plugs, spoons and jigheads, ranging from 1-4 g. It handled everything over maybe 1.5 g with ease. The rod length was great for the ever important underhand flip. Once I got down to the 1 g Trout Magnet, accuracy, and of course distance, suffered but it was doable and it caught me my only fish of the day a nice brown trout. I was focused on casting, and it was cold, but initial impressions are that sensitivity is good. Had it been exceptional, I probably would have noticed without even concentrating on it.

High winds prevented me from going out again, so I decided to analyze why the Ares out performed the Teton and CU Double at lower weights. First test was to hold two rods, one over the other, in one hand and then do a wiggle test. The Ares' bent deeper and the tip swung wider than other two. I did notice that if you vary the frequency, at some point the other rods might match the deflection of the Ares, probably due to harmonics.

I then setup a rig to mount the rods in and hung a 29.3 g (just over 1 oz) weight from each rod, taking a picture with a tripod mounted camera to maintain a constant perspective. All the pics are below, including a digitally created triple exposure of the three main rods. The Ares is obviously the most supple of the three, allowing it to load better with light lures. I believe all three have 1 mm tips but the Ares has a much thinner butt section than the also longer CU Double, and is slightly thinner at the butt than the Teton. In my opinion, Kuying should not have branded the fairly fast TTC50FUL as a Teton. I have other Teton's and they are all noodly (in the good sense) trout rods.

Tsurinoya Ares C472UL

As long as the rig was setup, might as well document some other rods too.

Ace Hawk CU Double 562UL .5-4 g
Kuying Teton TTC50FUL 1-7 g
Kuying Teton TTS-662SUL .8-3 g
Daiwa Presso AGS 54XUL-S .6-2.5 g
Tsurinoya Dexterity Ajing C632UL .6-8 g
Major Craft Finetail Area Special FAX-632SUL

Note how the area rods (AGS and Finetail) and the ajing rod (Dexterity) are the only ones whose tips dip below horizontal. Actually the Ares does a little as well. Also FWIW, I wouldn't fish an ajing rod on a trout stream. They really are still water rods.

Much thanks to Hobie-Wan for turning me on to this rod and his previous discussions of it on this forum and in his YouTubes.
Last edited by Knotty on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS: Ares vs. 6 other rods

Post by nfnband » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:25 pm

I was looking for a light 1pc Teton thanks for the post i will check this rod out. Do you know if the seat and guides are Fuji / Fuji K?

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:43 pm

nfnband wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:25 pm
I was looking for a light 1pc Teton thanks for the post i will check this rod out. Do you know if the seat and guides are Fuji / Fuji K?
Yes Fuji K guides and Fuji reel seat.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 pm

The Ares is truly special. Such a great rod for small streams. Tsurinoya should be giving me a cut of the profit, as MANY people got this rod after me posting about it and basically being their USA customer service :lol:

It does fine in open water for bluegill but, an 8in gill will be in charge if you hook into one with this rod.

Knotty, wait until you use an aftermarket spool and bearings :big grin: . The "tip" being solid carbon I think they meant the non-handle piece (like the blank part of the 2-piece / insert blank into handle part Megabass rods).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:29 am

I posted a response yesterday but do not see it.

THANKS Knotty for your detailed review. This took quite a bit of work on your part for sure.

And Hobie, yes, thanks for being a 'champion' for this rod. You got me curious enough to get the 4' 7" and the 5' 6" though I really don't have use for them as the waters I fish all tend towards longer rods. The way you flick the 4' 7" was intriguing as I never had a rod that short other than a 36" Kencor years ago.

Anyways, Knotty:
1. Yup, can confirm that both rods are all solid carbon fiber body all the way through up to the handle. There are some debates as to whether UL all solid body or tubular are more sensitive. What I do believe for sure is that all solid body are more durable and can lift more relative to its power without breaking.

2. Being all solid carbon fiber, the weight of the blank will load itself beautifully and case extremely light lures well. These have a very nice feel just swing testing.

3. I like the fact that they include a nice triangular hard case with a pocket for the handle. Beautifully done....classy really.

Again, nice review. Thanks.

ps: May I ask how long it took to get to you after ordering?

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:51 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 pm
...Knotty, wait until you use an aftermarket spool and bearings :big grin: . The "tip" being solid carbon I think they meant the non-handle piece (like the blank part of the 2-piece / insert blank into handle part Megabass rods).
I have the Avail spool, lined with some 4# .165 mm Sunline Troutist Wild, ready and waiting to go.
ultralight wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:29 am
ps: May I ask how long it took to get to you after ordering?
Rod and some lures were ordered Nov. 11 and the rod arrived Dec. 4, so 3 weeks, which is pretty good. The lures are still in transit. Much of the shipping from China has been very slow the past couple months.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:02 am

Here's another digital composite of the 3 rods that offers an interesting perspective on their bends. It's clear the Ares bends deeper into the blank than the others. Like previously mentioned, I'm surprised by how fast the Teton is when most other Tetons are known for being slow.

Top to bottom: CU Double, Teton, Ares

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm

Got out twice more with the Ares. Only 1 wild brown on a Lucky Craft Stream Drive 35HD 3.1 g pencil. But this rod is everything I was hoping for when I got intrigued by BFS. Of course "true" BFS is bass focused and uses heavier lures than I'm typically throwing on these outings, but this type of fishing is what originally attracted me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm
Got out twice more with the Ares. Only 1 wild brown on a Lucky Craft Stream Drive 35HD 3.1 g pencil. But this rod is everything I was hoping for when I got intrigued by BFS. Of course "true" BFS is bass focused and uses heavier lures than I'm typically throwing on these outings, but this type of fishing is what originally attracted me.

Nice fish. Glad you like it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Now you can part with the Teton 50ful... Pm me when ready hahaha

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler