Now that's how to kick off the season ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Now that's how to kick off the season ...

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Got out today for about 6 hours, first trip of 2021. Last year was not one of my better fishing years, I needed to get the stink off. Went to a lake that is not so much a size lake but has a great variety of fish and is my go-to ultralight place. Air temp in the low 40's, sunny & calm with thin ice on the shady edges. Caught 15 on the day, a mix of small bass, yellow perch that averaged 12" long and were very fat, and a 20" chain pickerel. All came on a 1/16 oz homemade craft hair jig. I started to teach myself to tie last year, they aint pretty but apparently the fish didn't care. For those who are wondering, the rod was a 6' 8" Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner UL, the reel a Daiwa SS700 spooled with 10 lb Sufix Performance braid with a leader of Sufix 4 lb mono.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Now that's how to kick off the season ...

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:51 pm

That's a great start to the new year! Congrats!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Now that's how to kick off the season ...

Post by Knotty » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Amazing and that settles it...I'm going to drive to south Jersey to catch some fish. Too much ice and too little biting up by me.