UL PE Line rating to actual diameter in mm (millimeters)?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

UL PE Line rating to actual diameter in mm (millimeters)?

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm curious about PE line ratings in terms of their diameters.

Searching online, I see lists of PE line starting with 0.6. However, I see PE line for sale at thicknesses of 0.14, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4. What is the diameter of those lines?

Thanks for any insight.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Re: UL PE Line rating to actual diameter in mm (millimeters)?

Post by Amir_zwara » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Japanese lines are measured in an industry standard scale called “号” or "goh", that's the number (0.6) you're likely seeing.
Here is a good explanation from Varivas: https://www.varivas.fishing/japanese-fishing-line-size/

There are chart towards the bottom for various line types and corresponding mm/inches measurements to goh sizing.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Just a quick warning that they won't all be the same. The PE number is assigned according to dtex standard, ratio of weight to length. Accordingly, lines with tighter weave will be thinner, material (Dyneema, Izanas) will matter, too, despite the fact that they are all made of polyethylene. I do not know how they use this standard with hybrid lines that contain strands of polyester or fluorocarbon in addition to polyethylene.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks! Grateful for the helpful link!