Looking for tips regarding a landing net for UL fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fezken
Angler
Angler

Looking for tips regarding a landing net for UL fishing

Post by fezken » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am

Hello,

I am trying to get my gear ready for trout seasons, and i am currently looking for a new net.
I would like it to be C&R friendly, so possible a net aimed at fly fishermen. I'm mostly doing bankfishing, but also some boatfishing. My rods UL rods are ranging from 6'2 to 6'4 feet. I have been eyeing some fishpond nets, but I'm not really sure regarding the handle length.

I am using a Patagonia Stealth Slingpack to hold my gear when I'm out fishing. And I would like to carry the net on my back with a magnet. I will be walking a bit, but if I go into the mountains I will use another pack.

I am of fairly short stature, raging approx. 163cm(5.34 feet) above the ground.

Really not sure regarding the handle length. The quest for a new net is mainly due to the fact that I don't wanna risk any damage to the rods.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Thanks

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for tips regarding a landing net for UL fishing

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:28 am

I'm looking for a net with similar needs, I think.

I'm looking for it because it's sold out from everywhere :D I will buy it when somebody has it in stock. It's this Dida 214 folding C&R trout net:

https://www.kurre.fi/fi/perhokalastus/d ... 010612148/

Currently maybe from Italy could be found, but I think it will be in stock in my country in the spring.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 pm

I have no recommendation, but do have a warning.

Be wary of the net weave. A net that works great for fly anglers using barbless single hooks can be a PITA when the thrashing of a netted trout punches barbed trebles through net mesh.

Having had to cut two holes in a brand new landing net to be able to release a wrapped-up trout speedily, I now deem net composition a top consideration.

For those who only use barbless hooks, this is not such a problem (and my hat's off to you).

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:53 pm

No recommendation, just make sure it's a plastic (silicone, rubber, etc.) net where barbs won't get stuck, like Bronzeye noted. Even with a pinched barb I recently ended up damaging a nice little brown when the hook got caught in the net material. Learn from my misfortune. Have spent too much time trying to get hooks out of standard nets to ever get tempted into buying another.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:54 pm

I just returned a net because the basket dimensions were wrong. Info stated it was 14 inches deep and in truth was only 8 inches deep and had zero stecth. Had several 18 inch trout and one 20 inch jump out. I was trying to cheap out on a net....and yet I purchase 400 dollar rods....I know, doesn't make any sense. So I did what I should have done in the first place....I purchased a good one. It is the Fishpond Nomad Emerger. The net is the real deal...expensive but worth the money. The basket is 12 inches deep and a soft clear rubber. I also have the Fishpond Confluence Net Release for it. Both net and release are high quality. I should add Fishpond has smaller handle nets also. This one just fit what I wanted.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Agree with those who commented on net material. For C&R, I will only use rubber or silicone net material as it is less abrasive on the fish's natural 'slime' on the scales. Also helps in releasing any barbed hooks caught on it.

This may not be what you are looking for due to the shape but I favor the EGO Fishing nets with the silicone net. The advantage of the ego is that it floats. I had one that went over a dam in the Sierras and found it down stream hours later while fishing because it was floating. I have their small and medium hoop and think that the small would be the right size if fishing streams.

Another advantage is that they use screw in handles - so you can get short, medium, long, telescopic in various lengths etc. Also, every single part of the net is replaceable including handle, yoke, net, hoop, inserts etc. You see a lot of ego nets on the profishing circuit.

Alphahawk's Fishpond recommendation does look premium indeed.
Last edited by ultralight on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:35 pm

ultralight wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 pm
Agree with those who commented on net material. For C&R, I will only use rubber or silicone net material as it is less abrasive on the fish's natural 'slime' on the scales. Also helps in releasing any barbed hooks caught on it.

This may not be what you are looking for due to the shape but I favor the EGO Fishing nets with the silicone net. The advantage of the ego is that it floats. I had one that went over a dam in the Sierras and found it down stream hours later while fishing because it was floating. I have their small and medium hoop and think that the small would be the right size if fishing streams.

Alphahawk's Fishpond recommendation does look premium indeed.
According to Fishpond the net floats like a cork......I have not tested it.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:21 am

I can confirm that the Fishpond Nomad nets do float and that they are high quality nets.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I will not cheap out on a net, so a Fishpond net it is. It's seems like a good match for the high end jdm gear.

I feel like my options are between the Nomad Emerger and Nomad mid length. I fear that the mid length will be slightly too long allround practicality. The length of the Emerger seems like a sweet spot for my fishing.

Looks like I can source it here in Norway, although it's going to cost around 260 dollars. Cheapest I can get it on ebay for is 225 dollars shipped. I think it will be worth it regardless, as I have not found any other suitable alternatives longer than ~ 60 cm(23 inches).

Edit: The EGO nets look very interesting aswell. I will probably acquire one at later stage , in addition the the fishpond net.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 pm
I have no recommendation, but do have a warning.

Be wary of the net weave. A net that works great for fly anglers using barbless single hooks can be a PITA when the thrashing of a netted trout punches barbed trebles through net mesh.
Thanks - Good point.
I think it's single hooks with me for next summer. Still I don't know barbless or not. But have to purchase another mesh to it if it's barbed hooks.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm

The Fishpond is indeed a beautiful net...
Attachments
D475C63D-A53F-425B-90E2-71533E71EDAD.jpeg
D475C63D-A53F-425B-90E2-71533E71EDAD.jpeg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 4564 times

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:32 am

Bought that bigger one Dida, with rubber mesh. But it wasn't enough fish friendly. Not good rubber mesh. It is obviously rubber coated yarn or something...

Bought smaller Dida, it was inexpensive because I bought it with C&R mesh. And true that everything get stucked to it. But because Dida rubber mesh wasn't good enough, I didn't want it. So I looked for big enough full rubber mesh. Those were ridiculously expensive in Finland and big enough mesh was impossible or at least hard to find from Aliexpress. I found one, which might be big enough. Yes, I just could install it, but it was a little small. But I was ordered also stainless steel 20 mm key rings from Ali, and installed mesh with those...
Keyrings.png
Keyrings.png (82.89 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Tried to attach picture of net, but <200 KiB files seems too big...
But this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 18023N5BBm

But was everything worth of...Probably not, but now have stream fishing net for my needs, and another one I can use in seatrout fishing...

Seems like Dida meshes are knitted on, couldn't be removed without using knife a little bit.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:18 am

I been loving the Handy Pak Net ghost series net. It is a small foldable net that is easy to deploy and safe for fish. Silicone net and teak wood handle.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 pm

Yes it is! But most of my fishing places I would need waders to use it. Typically I walk a lot during fishing day and I get hot even without waders...

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm

Anyone know what kind of nets the guy from the enjoy fishing channel uses?

Check out the ones in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySFtJFd-3bE&t=345s

they look absolutely stunning and the enthusiast in me wants one