Next JDM trout rod to acquire?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fezken
Angler
Angler

Next JDM trout rod to acquire?

Post by fezken » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am

Hello fellow anglers!

I am considering adding a new rod to my JDM collection.
Currently I have a Major Craft Finetail FAX 6'3 UL and a Graphiteleader Super Bellezza 6'4 UL.

My initial plan was to get the Abu Garcia Diplomat Extreme, but I have seen seen Alpahawk using the Iprimi XXUL.
I originally did not want to go for a low end rod - pricewise , but I am wondering if should acquire the Iprimi first.
Any takers?

Either rod is going to be paired with another Daiwa Exist or a Shimano Vanquish.

My problem is that once I have spent my money on the high end stuff, I feel like i'm wasting money acquiring the cheaper stuff - a big flaw I realize. I have tried to remedy this before, but to no avail.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Next JDM trout rod to acquire?

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:43 am

Hard to beat the Bellezza. One of my all time favorites. If you are planning on any “stream” or “river” fishing, it is hard to beat the Tenryu trout rods. I have a Rayz, Rayz Spectra, and the 4-piece Integral. These are made in Japan rods that are just outstanding performers. Designed and built for fishing current. I absolutely love them.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 pm

fezken wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am
Hello fellow anglers!

I am considering adding a new rod to my JDM collection.
Currently I have a Major Craft Finetail FAX 6'3 UL and a Graphiteleader Super Bellezza 6'4 UL.

My initial plan was to get the Abu Garcia Diplomat Extreme, but I have seen seen Alpahawk using the Iprimi XXUL.
I originally did not want to go for a low end rod - pricewise , but I am wondering if should acquire the Iprimi first.
Any takers?

Either rod is going to be paired with another Daiwa Exist or a Shimano Vanquish.

My problem is that once I have spent my money on the high end stuff, I feel like i'm wasting money acquiring the cheaper stuff - a big flaw I realize. I have tried to remedy this before, but to no avail.

I had the same thoughts....until I acquired the Iprimi XXUL. It is a rod that takes fun to another level. Now I need to clarify that. There are days when you are only going to catch small fish. While many of the rods in my collection would give me some fun with the smaller fish I wanted to do better. I looked forever for a high end, short...XXUL area trout rod. If there is one out there I cannot find it. I have a Banshee that is an XUL in 5' 7". It is super sensitive...but nowhere near as fun as the Iprimi. The only lures I have used with the Iprimi so far are micro spoons...and I am having a ball. My largest fish to date on the Iprimi is a 13 inch trout...one heck of a battle. Yesterday I had an epic day of trout fishing and a new video will be coming out shortly. But this morning I got up and went back to the same river...no camera...no waders.....just throwing micro spoons from the bank into shallow riffles. I had an absolute ball. I think the Iprimi will work best with hard baits and I have not used it with soft plastics yet. As soon as I hit the buy button on the Iprimi I was wondering if I had wasted my money...then I fished it and it just put a big smile on my face.

Regards

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 am

Is MC even jdm? I know a lot of them are China made or thai/Malay.

For jdm I'm a fan of multi piece so I tend to lean on Huerco

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 am

eklikewhoa wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 am

Yes MC is JDM....not all JDM gear is "Made in Japan". As a matter of fact the majority of JDM gear...and I'm including all gear to include terminal tackle, is made in other countries.

Regards

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:31 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 am
eklikewhoa wrote:

Yes MC is JDM....not all JDM gear is "Made in Japan". As a matter of fact the majority of JDM gear...and I'm including all gear to include terminal tackle, is made in other countries.

Regards
We have different definitions of jdm then but I get what you mean

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:46 am

JDM is generally accepted to mean equipment designed for the Japanese Domestic Market. As Alphahawk rightly said, much of that gear is made in other countries.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:37 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:

Think of it this way. When we say USDM it refers to products sold and marketed to the US market but not necessarily made in the US.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:36 am

I have one of the new major craft 5g “aji-do” rods on preorder with an eta of late April. I got the little 5’ model to pair with the soare 500s.

https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/def ... do-5g.html

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 am

Tenryu makes some great rods, I’ve been more than happy with the 2 I’ve picked up!
Attachments
8836E79A-4E03-4810-8F72-7C74E7746284.jpeg
8836E79A-4E03-4810-8F72-7C74E7746284.jpeg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 4454 times

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have finally had the opportunity to test my Super Bellezza , and I am extremely pleased with it. It casts like an absolute dream. The recovery rate of the blank is very quick and crisp, allowing me very accurate casts. It also outshines my Major Craft Finetail FAX 632-UL on every criteria, but not necessarily by a huge margin. The differences in the recovery rate is immediately apparent, and the MC rod feels wobbly in comparison. I will have to do more comparisons as I have pretty much only fished the Super Bellezza for the last few weeks.

I really would like to get a Tenryu rod, several actually. I've been pondering getting a BFS setup with a Tenryu stream rod. The Calcutta Conquest BFS reel looks so sick paired with the Tenryu Spectra.

But I have set my sights on a Rodiocraft 999.9 meister rod as the next potential rod from Japan
I'am also eyeing a Presso-LTD AGS SMT rod, but I am not sure which of these two I will prioritze.
Has anyone had any experience with any of the two mentioned rods?