My JDM UL Tackle Adventure

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
kendopro
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

My JDM UL Tackle Adventure

Post by kendopro » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:13 pm

I am new to the site and I wanted to share where I started and where I am at the moment in this JDM UL addiction. I have used JDM gear for Ocean and bass fishing for years. Mostly for the higher quality reels paired with my made in USA rods, especially heavier gear. I never really thought about it in my freshwater light and ultra light fishing. The last couple years I have started doing a lot of mini jig fishing for trout. I started with higher end brands that I have used for Ocean fishing and it seemed like most of the SOCAL guys were using the same. The gold standard as it might be. I was really underwhelmed at the sensitivity and action. I told my self there has to be something better and started to look online more. This led me to Europe / Russia/ and other over seas area style fishing equipment. In this I found i_fish youtube then alphahawks youtube page and posts here. Thats when it struck me to look at JDM equipment to see if i could find a better option.

I lurked on this site a lot to help me get a start. The posts here were a great deal of help with this so i started my search and came across 2 major craft rods. The Troutino TTA-632SUL and and the Trapara TXA-602SUL. I wanted to start in the sub 100$ range. Once I got the rods I found the rods to be excellent in build and detailed compared to their US counterparts in the same price range. I paired them each with the JDM Luvias 2000S. Both rods and reels performed excellent and my catch rate went up. The sensitivity of the rods compared to their US counterparts was a real eye opener. These rods were put to the test with trout up to 5lbs which they handled without issue. At this point i was hooked. I then came on a deal on a Rayz Alter RAZ61L-T. I paired this with a JDM Ballistic 2000ss-p. This pair helped me pickup my personal best trout at 7.14lbs. This combo out performed any combo in sensitivity, performance, and build quality than any product I had from a US builder in the same price range. I finally found what I was looking for.

I will say that this not against any US made product in this range. It is simply I was looking for a type of feel, build, and quality that I did not find here in the US. I was willing to invest the extra $ to purchase a product that was what I was looking for in my fishing style which I found in JDM equipment. There are few that will say why do you need or want this or that when you can catch on the trusty walmart combo? For me I enjoy the feel of well made equipment and enjoy fishing more when I can also be a tackle nerd. To each his own. :D

I want to thank you all here on the forums for all the posts that lead me down this journey / addiction.

My PB 7.14lb On Rayz Tenryu Alter / Daiwa Ballistic 2000ss-p
Last edited by kendopro on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My JDM UL Tackle Adventure

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:44 am

The states is definitely lacking for light rock/ajing fishing stuff

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My JDM UL Tackle Adventure

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:23 am

I, too, have fallen down the JDM ultralight rabbit hole, and couldn’t agree more with the assessment on build quality and feel of ultralight rods built for the JDM. I would add that the Japanese prefer to have rods that are technique-specific and spend a lot of time and effort producing rods that fill a certain niche in targeting different species and under differing conditions. While I have acquired several ajing, mebaru , and light game rods, they are certainly fun to use for trout, but are designed to target different species and in conditions not normally associated with trout. Now, the JDM has two very different approaches to trout fishing. Area and stream. Area rods are focused on still conditions fishing in small to medium impoundments where angling pressure is high and the need for light and extremely sensitive rods is necessary. Stream fishing rods need to rely on a different set of build designs that take into account the moving and sometimes fast flowing water conditions associated with mountains streams and rivers. So why am I spending so much time on something many enthusiasts already know? I wanted to share my experience with what I would label as crossover, and to add a bit of a compliment to a couple of USDM manufacturers in their efforts to produce some quality trout rods as well.

I have fished many light game rods in mountain stream conditions and have had a blast. It might be my conclusion that these rods have a lot of backbone and certainly enough feel to get the job done. They do, however, have a little less range for fishing trout lures/baits. Area trout rods are by design much softer and again lack a little stiffness when fishing fast moving water. I have caught many nice size trout using an Area rod, but in my opinion, they lack what could be termed versatility. The Stream rods are purpose built to handle fast flowing conditions with sensitivity in mind. Even though fishing fast water presents very different conditions than area impoundments, there are many situations where trout are still less aggressive and you need to feel the strike. There is no doubt that the JDM stream rods are designed and built with this in mind. So, I don’t want to bring the wrath of the JDM gods down on me, but I will give a shout out to G. Loomis for their TSR791S-1 GLX rod for fishing fast moving water. While it is not my favorite stream rod, it is certainly an above average if not nearly perfect rod for these conditions. My latest trip to western North Carolina presented us with faster than normal water flow conditions. My go to rod was my Tenryu Rayz 6’8” rod and in these conditions was perfect. I caught a lot of trout of varying size and had a great success rate landing almost every trout I hooked. There was one stream where the flows were especially challenging and I took out the Loomis rod and was pleasantly surprised at how efficient it was/is. I hooked a 2..5 lb and a 3 lb rainbow that felt like I snagged a couple of Marlins. Each fish took me about five minutes to land. I was using 3.5 lb Varivas nylon spooled on a Daiwa Luvias FC LT1000 reel and had a stress-filled few minutes bringing these guys to the net. This rod really shined and I can honestly say I am glad to own it and have it as a compliment to my JDM rods when I fish.

Lastly, I just love my JDM equipment. There are not any rods that can match the quality, build, and design than those produced for the Japanese market. Many are true works of art that fish like work horses. My favorite stream rods by far are those made by Tenryu. They just know how to make rods for those conditions. One stand out rod for me is the Olympic Graphiteleader Super Bellezza. When the conditions are slower moving water, there isn’t a rod that is more fun or capable than it is. So, my two cents. I can honestly say that once you get hooked, watch out...