SUL spinning rod - fishing line setup

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
akn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

SUL spinning rod - fishing line setup

Post by akn » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 pm

I have a Kuying Teton 622 SUL on the way, planning to pair it with a Legalis 2000s. I've also ordered some Kureha Seaguar Fluoro LTD R18 0.6#/2.5lb (100m). I'm just looking for opinions on what kind of backing I should use and if I should spool the whole 100 m or split it up. Any suggestions on other lines will also be welcome.Thanks!

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SUL spinning rod - fishing line setup

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:14 am

Your questions imply that you are concerned about being prepared for long runs by fish you can't restrain with 2.5 lb. test line. Responses might vary depending on the perceived odds of this happening. Specifying which species you foresee making these long runs, how big they grow where you fish, whether this would be happening in lakes or rivers, and the likelihood that your presentations will appeal to these species might help get meaningful advice. Or not.

I'd figure that if you hook a 15 lb. carp in a deep river with moderate flow, you won't even be able to slow it down and will just hope that your knot at the lure fails before your expensive fluoro line breaks deep in the spool. But you need to use strong knots at the lure with line that weak, so I'd use a backing that is stronger so you are only looking at losing the 50 m. you should top it with. I'd use a slim, strong leader connection knot like the FG to maximize chances that the fluorocarbon will break at or near the lure.

akn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: SUL spinning rod - fishing line setup

Post by akn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:05 am

Hey, thanks for the response. I am fishing for trout in the Bow River. There are some big ones in there but where I fish I mostly get dinks, using a 2.5 g spoon. Depth is about 5-6 feet, moderate flow. For my UL setup I use braid to fluorocarbon but I usually tape down the knot so it doesn't get caught when casting; I'm wondering if I should do the same if I use braid backing for SUL. I've read about ester with a FC leader as well but it seems ester has a lower specific gravity than fluorocarbon so am I correct to assume it doesn't sink as fast? I want the spoon to sink a bit more than what I'm currently getting on my UL setup, also with FC.