Ultralight rod storage in boat

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ultralight rod storage in boat

Post by setsail26 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm thinking about getting a Tenryu Lunakia 610 as an all around ultralight for panfish. I store my rods in the boat with rod sleeves and put them in a rod locker with tubes. Am I going to break this rod by doing that? I know the tips are very thin and I know anything can happen, just want to know if that is a bad idea in general. Hate to have to break it down, take the reel off, and put it in a case every time. Thanks.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultralight rod storage in boat

Post by darrin » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:40 pm

I wouldn't risk it. The tips are just so delicate and fine. I have 2 (one is an Ares and the other is a graphite leader) on my boat and I keep them in their own cases at all times if they're not in use.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:07 pm

setsail26 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:03 pm
I'm thinking about getting a Tenryu Lunakia 610 as an all around ultralight for panfish. I store my rods in the boat with rod sleeves and put them in a rod locker with tubes. Am I going to break this rod by doing that? I know the tips are very thin and I know anything can happen, just want to know if that is a bad idea in general. Hate to have to break it down, take the reel off, and put it in a case every time. Thanks.
It is a bad idea. I have a rod locker...I have broken 2 JDM Ul rods using it. I break my rods down coming and going. I have a couple of BW Sports rod cases I use...haven't broke any rods since I got them 5 years back. Also if bank fishing I carry the rod in the case to the spot I will be fishing.

Regards

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:13 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about your new 6'10" Lunakia, it's a tubular tip rod (the shorter ones are solid tip) so it should be fine in a rod glove and then stored in a rod tube. I store all of my Evergreen Poseidon Salty Sensation tubular light game rods the same way on my Ranger and Vexus boats. In my experience, it's the solid tip or stinger tip rods that require a bit more care with the tip since they are more prone to breakage as they are essentially a solid piece of graphite (carbon fiber) grafted onto the rest of the rod blank for extra sensitivity over a purely tubular blank based rod. I have several sets of those, and I do take the time to properly break them down into the two individual pieces of the rod and put them into the rod sleeve they arrived in from the factory for safe storage. I keep the paired Daiwa Exist spinning reels in the reel bags they came with, and everything is safe after a day on the water.

The downside I have discovered to this approach is that I tend to use the solid tip rods less and less over time, it has become easier to simply use the tubular blank rods as I haven't truly been able to discern much difference in sensitivity between either the tubular or solid tip type rods from my four seasons of use for catching panfish in MN & WIS.

If I didn't already have a paired set of Evergreen Poseidon Salty Sensation Limber Tips and Super Sensors, I'd have bought two of the specific rod you chose. Enjoy the new Lunakia rod!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS