8'-9' Casting rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 8'-9' Casting rod?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am

ss30378 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:18 am
Edge rods has some longer steelhead rods that may fit the bill. I have the first strike FSS865STR (8'6" MH) spinning rod which is rated from 3/8-1oz but in reality its probably more like 1/8-5/8. They have the same blank in a casting build for the first strike and the higher end black widow in a 904 (9' Medium) which would probably be a touch softer still. If you call them they also have a lot of non cataloged items that may work as well.
I own several edge steelhead rods but they are the worst business I have ever had to deal with in my life and I would never purchase from them again. Nearly impossible to reach and would only respond when I had to get to the point of threatening them with further action.
Nice rods but horrible experience and from looking into them I see they have a long history of issues and are given a F by the Better Business Bureau.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:44 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am
ss30378 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:18 am
Edge rods has some longer steelhead rods that may fit the bill. I have the first strike FSS865STR (8'6" MH) spinning rod which is rated from 3/8-1oz but in reality its probably more like 1/8-5/8. They have the same blank in a casting build for the first strike and the higher end black widow in a 904 (9' Medium) which would probably be a touch softer still. If you call them they also have a lot of non cataloged items that may work as well.
I own several edge steelhead rods but they are the worst business I have ever had to deal with in my life and I would never purchase from them again. Nearly impossible to reach and would only respond when I had to get to the point of threatening them with further action.
Nice rods but horrible experience and from looking into them I see they have a long history of issues and are given a F by the Better Business Bureau.
Sounds painful, I thankfully haven't had any issues that you describe. Over the past year I've purchased 13 rods from them and have had one warranty replacement after I broke one and it was handled promptly.

By the sounds of it you may want to look at a custom rod to check the boxes of what you are after. I had Alex at ALX rods build me a custom trout casting rod off a phenix blank for a very reasonable price. Something like that may be your best option vs trying to find something off the shelf.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:50 pm

Yes, that is the route I will be going. Had a builder in WA make me an sweet spinning rod with an NFC 901 blank and am in line for him to build the same in casting...........
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:50 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:50 pm
Yes, that is the route I will be going. Had a builder in WA make me an sweet spinning rod with an NFC 901 blank and am in line for him to build the same in casting...........
I would suggest a spiral wrap for that casting rod. Otherwise, line will drop below and/or rub the blank.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:50 am
1nutinthewater wrote:
I would suggest a spiral wrap for that casting rod. Otherwise, line will drop below and/or rub the blank.
Love it for my 8-9’ trout casting rods 🍻

Once you go acid…

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:03 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:

Once you go acid…
The last 3 custom casting rods I've had built are spiraled. 6' light, 6'6" ML and 7'UL. Anything below medium power will get the same guide layout in the future.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:11 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:

Once you go acid…

For sure! He has made several for me and all spiral wrapped.