BFS Casting Reel - Your Line Choice

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

BFS Casting Reel - Your Line Choice

Post by Ghost » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Just wondering what ya'll using for your line for your BFS baitcast reel(s). 

I have the Curado BFS reel with 15/4 yellow Power Pro. And also have A Kastking Zephyr, Abu Garcia Revo X with aftermarket BFS spool and a Daiwa Tatula CT with aftermarket spool; all spooled with 10/2 yellow Power Pro line.

I tried 4 lb P-Line CXX at first but did not like how it handled on the KK Zephyr. All my reels are straight braid, and I color so many feet of the yellow braid with a black Sharpie.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Casting Reel - Your Line Choice

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:48 am

I got a mix of all types of line.

I do not use braid as often as others seems to do. I like mono for streams and FC for open water.

I am kinda a line nerd and dive into details. Say for trout fishing, I have different types of mono for different situations. I have VARIVAS Bush Trail for backwoods brook trout creeks with tons of abrasive objects. VARIVAS Twitch Master for fishing fast waters with minnow lures. VARIVAS Sight Edition for swampy (blocking light) and also for other low light like fishing dusk/dawn for brown trout. The above mono is good for panfish in lakes.

Braid is most used for me to give my setup "more power". When I am using "heavier" gauged hooks, braid helps me get solid hooksets with having to superhero hook set.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:02 am

I prefer braids/superlines as long as the temps aren't freezing.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:13 am

I currently use 8lb Sufix 832 Ghost color on my BFS spool. Seems to work great but I spooled WAY too much, should have just filled the spool about half (DIY 1016 BFS spool). I like the line okay, but connection knots to fluoro leader get stuck in the tiny Proflex 2 rod's guides. If I were to do it again, I would go with 4-6lb fluorocarbon, probably just Sunline FC Sniper.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 am

slipperybob wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:02 am
I prefer braids/superlines as long as the temps aren't freezing.
I'd lose my mind if I lived (and tried to fish) where it ever got to freezing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:45 am

6lb and 8lb Berkley X9 above freezing and 5lb Maxima Ultragreen when it's cold. I really like the X9, took me by surprise as I haven't had much luck with Berkley braided lines in the past.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:09 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 am
I'm the same way with the heat and humidity. We usually get a couple weeks worth of the stuff you all deal with down there on a daily basis, that's when I hibernate lol.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:48 am

I prefer premium braided lines, over thick ones, PE#1. I don't spool it much, only 30 m. And I change it if it shortens to ~25 m. I fish in strong currents where 2 kg rainbow or heavier trout can easily run out that amount of line. And because of that I have backing line of ~50 m of thin PE#0.5, so I still can try to fight back. (Once rainbow went down by rapids, and I went with it. It was autumn and water was cold and I didn't use waders so I got really cold but it was great fun.) I use long FC leaders in my BFS fishing, but not longer than rod. It's protection against rocks and to make line invisible. I use 0,30 mm, 0.39 mm and 0.49 mm leaders. I change those acc. to water level. Those leaders has strong floating effect making shallow water fishing a lot easier. I have tied those leaders in my home by FG knot. There is short braided line attached by FG knot and I can change leaders in fishing, tying it by double Uni. In case of bottom jigging shorten leader or fish without leader at all.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:49 am

tincanary wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:09 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 am
I'm the same way with the heat and humidity. We usually get a couple weeks worth of the stuff you all deal with down there on a daily basis, that's when I hibernate lol.
That is exactly what I thought too when I first moved down after spending almost 30 years in Oakland county up there. I adapted fairly quickly once we moved south though and I'll gladly take the heat and humidity over shoveling snow any day now. Wade fishing a small river in the middle of the heat is some of the best fishing you'll find. I took on a new splunking hobby in the summer too, stays a constant 58 degrees in the caves even when it's 100 degrees outside.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:49 pm

I’m fairly new to BFS and so far I’ve had good luck with 8# PowerPro. Target casting in the upper Mississippi River you never know what you might hook.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:57 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:49 pm
I’m fairly new to BFS and so far I’ve had good luck with 8# PowerPro. Target casting in the upper Mississippi River you never know what you might hook.
Braid is a common choice for BFS reel for that very same reason. Also less backlash prone for some people.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:10 am

I like 5 lb. Sniper for the small creek trout fishing in the Eastern Sierras. There tends to be overhanging branches and tons of wood and rocks in the water. Also, trout have hard mouths that need a decent hookset to get the hook to penetrate and to get the fish moving away from the obstacles. 4 lb. Sniper is nice in open water, but I've gotten in trouble trying to move some of the fish over 3 lbs that they stock. I have managed to land fish up to 7 on the 5 lb. I'm fishing the Berkley Trout Worm, a #8 Owner Mosquito Hook, and a 1/10 ounce weight on a dropshot rig a lot of the time. The 4 lb. gets used more when I am throwing spinners up in the water column in more open water.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 pm

I love details but still try and keep things simple. BFS line for me is Sunline Sniper 6, 7, or 8lb test. I target bass almost exclusively, so I'm not using BFS to throw 1gram baits. I fish the nedrig for river smallies a ton and use 8lb test most of the time. My river is full of rock shelves and those fish like to dive into the shelves. I'll go down to 6lb when throwing some lighter hard baits.

I hate braid with a passion. IMO it completely lacks sensitivity on a slack line. It also feels and sounds, well, just disgusting. :big grin: In all my fishing, I use braid for frogging only.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:22 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 pm
I love details but still try and keep things simple. BFS line for me is Sunline Sniper 6, 7, or 8lb test. I target bass almost exclusively, so I'm not using BFS to throw 1gram baits. I fish the nedrig for river smallies a ton and use 8lb test most of the time. My river is full of rock shelves and those fish like to dive into the shelves. I'll go down to 6lb when throwing some lighter hard baits.

I hate braid with a passion. IMO it completely lacks sensitivity on a slack line. It also feels and sounds, well, just disgusting. :big grin: In all my fishing, I use braid for frogging only.
I use 7 and 8 lb. Sniper also when BFS fishing for bass because I usually throw at targets where I need to move the fish. I throw the 1/10 ounce Ned rig a bit. I'm a "braid only when I have to" type of fisherman also. I can frog all day, but punching can bore me even when I am catching a reasonable amount of fish.

kevinkunkle
Angler
Angler

Post by kevinkunkle » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:15 pm

I use Varivas Super Trout Advanced Sight Edition 4 pound test.