Best sinking UL line? Fluoro or Ester...or something else?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Best sinking UL line? Fluoro or Ester...or something else?

Post by ultralight » Thu May 05, 2022 7:59 pm

I know that I started a thread (no pun intended) on Ester line, which well-informed enthusiasts such as Alphahawk like. One of the defining strengths mentioned is that Ester sinks.

I need a line that allows my 1.5 to 3 grams jigs to sink to 20 feet and stay in that zone as much as possible. I use lines rated between 2 and 4 lbs.

Checking specific gravity, I see that Ester lines are about 1.35, and fluorocarbon is at 1.78.

Shouldn't fluorocarbon sink better than ester lines when I need to lightweight jigs down as quickly as possible and stay down? I realize that fluorocarbon stretches and thus is likely to be less sensitive than ester. But at this point, I'm only considering which sinks better....

Thanks for any insight.

ps: I could not find the specific gravity of monofilament line...anyone knows? I assume it is less than

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best sinking UL line? Fluoro or Ester...or something else?

Post by ultralight » Sat May 07, 2022 7:41 pm

Not a big deal but given no replies, I assume that no one has compared them side by side. I'll likely go with Fluoro then. I had thought that ester would sink better but given that fluor is about 31% dense, I assume that it sill get down better though I think Ester's stiffness will give better sensitivity.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon May 09, 2022 3:05 am

ultralight wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:59 pm
I know that I started a thread (no pun intended) on Ester line, which well-informed enthusiasts such as Alphahawk like. One of the defining strengths mentioned is that Ester sinks.

I need a line that allows my 1.5 to 3 grams jigs to sink to 20 feet and stay in that zone as much as possible. I use lines rated between 2 and 4 lbs.

Checking specific gravity, I see that Ester lines are about 1.35, and fluorocarbon is at 1.78.

Shouldn't fluorocarbon sink better than ester lines when I need to lightweight jigs down as quickly as possible and stay down? I realize that fluorocarbon stretches and thus is likely to be less sensitive than ester. But at this point, I'm only considering which sinks better....

Thanks for any insight.

ps: I could not find the specific gravity of monofilament line...anyone knows? I assume it is less than
FC is better at sinking.....but I have a very hard time of seeing it or I would use it more. Nylon is a 1 on the specific gravity.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon May 09, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks Alphahawk,

Appreciate the confirmation. When you say that you have a hard time seeing it, do you mean when you need to tie the line or when actually fishing? And if actually fishing, are you watching the line to see strikes rather than feeling the strikes?

ps: Also, I assume that with 2 lbs line, the Ester casts significantly further than a 2 lbs fluoro?

Thanks again for the insight. Great forum!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue May 10, 2022 4:12 am

ultralight wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:27 am
Thanks Alphahawk,

Appreciate the confirmation. When you say that you have a hard time seeing it, do you mean when you need to tie the line or when actually fishing? And if actually fishing, are you watching the line to see strikes rather than feeling the strikes?

ps: Also, I assume that with 2 lbs line, the Ester casts significantly further than a 2 lbs fluoro?

Thanks again for the insight. Great forum!
You can cast coast to coast with Varivas ES 2 ester line. I use the Varivas Blue Moon FC...and I really like it. But it is hard for me to see to tie or while working the jig. I am not a typical line watcher and I do fish by feel...but....when I lose sight of my line it messes with my head...LOL.

Regards

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 pm

In my experience FC below about 8lb is virtually indistinguishable from mono in most situations. The line is so fine that the density becomes a negligible factor. I haven't tried fishing light jigs at 20ft extensively, but you're going to have to fish them slow whatever line you use. Ester seems to me to work amazingly well for many light jig situations, and is not significantly more difficult than a springy FC line.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue May 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Thanks all!