Bfs bait caster recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Sh402
Angler
Angler

Bfs bait caster recommendation

Post by Sh402 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:30 pm

Ok guy looking to start bfs with bait caster. What would be a good recommendation for reel under $400. Forgiving(not extremely choked off in cast) smooth, low profile. I’ve being using Daiwa sv reels all my life. Looking to throw baits 1/8 to 1/2 oz.

thanks in advance

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bfs bait caster recommendation

Post by ss30378 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 pm

Most daiwa sv spools can already cast that range of lures with the right rod. I like the 30mm ct spool reels for "power bfs" or if you have a 34mm spool daiwa and can find a zpi m spool they are rockets. There's also a lot of rays and other spool options available for daiwa reels that can make for a great power bfs reel.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:02 pm

I agree with the SV reels being capable of those weights. The shallower spools like the CT SV spools and the Alphas SV TW 800s would be good choices.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

2por
Angler
Angler

Post by 2por » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:41 pm

Aside from what others have already said (because if you are like me, when I have a budget set aside for fishing gear, odds are I'll use it), there are a few options. BFS reels use magnetic breaks (even on Shimano reels) so both the Shimano and Daiwa BFS reels cast smooth and effortless. The reels below all have a form of dynamic breaking system (higher break profile at beginning and tapering off). Despite the small cons to the reels below have, I would recommend any of them. I don't know about the super low end reels because I just leaped head first into BFS.

More expensive reels:
  • Gekka Bijin - (I own two)
    • clicking drag
    • "designed" for PE line
    • slightly lower line capacity compared to Aldebaran
    • buttery smooth retrieve
  • Aldebaran BFS - (I've only casted)
    • clicking drag
    • buttery smooth retrieve
Midway expensive reel:
  • Alphas Air TW - (I own one)
    • no clicking drag
Less expensive reel:
  • Curado BFS - (I did own one)
    • clicking drag
    • retrieve felt a slightly grindy when a fish was on (maybe due to not having micro module gearing that higher end Shimano reels have)

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:55 am

I would get the 22 Aldebaran, I have the 18 version and the newer on is supposed to be a lot better, at 285 on digitaka it’s a good deal, I also have the Curado bfs but it feels geary, my 18 alde is much smoother

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:28 am

John2204 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:55 am
I would get the 22 Aldebaran, I have the 18 version and the newer on is supposed to be a lot better
I think 22 is better only sub 1/8 oz. Couldn't find video right now, but I think 18 casts heavier than 1/8 oz longer. But difference is not significant.

For original question (Power Finesse reel, which casts good 1/8 oz) I don't have nothing to add.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 am

Get the Geb. Should be around $100 less than your budget from Digitaka or a similar shop in Japan. I have tons of reels from various eras and this was a home run out of the box by Daiwa.

ks_ness
Angler
Angler

Post by ks_ness » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:32 pm

With those lure weight ranges, I wouldn't recommend an actual BFS reel, especially if 1/8oz weights are in the extreme end of your lower lure ratings. Your Daiwa SVs should be doable.

But if you're just more considering the lightness in your setup, look at the '18 Shimano Aldebaran MGL 50 or 30, weighting less than 5oz for a baitcaster. You should be able to source them for about $300 if you look around. But with you maybe throwing 1/2oz lures, that will make your setup tip heavy. In that case, just go with the '22 Shimano Metanium Shallow Edition. It's similarly priced, but it's newer, and is probably the most versatile reel out right now, especially if you want to switch in and out of upper-end BFS lures back to traditional 1/2oz lures.

However, for your purpose, I'd recommend trying out the new '22 Shimano SLX DC XT. You could find them for around $200 right now depending on where you look. It has a little less line capacity compared to traditional spools (which is a good thing when throwing finessier applications). Plus with that DC system, it'll help reduce overruns and all the headaches that comes when casting lighter lures. That should be forgiving enough! Hope this helps.