Thicker/Heavier FC for BFS reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Thicker/Heavier FC for BFS reel

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:18 am

So I am getting ready to either buy a Conquest BFS, or just another filler reel (12-15lb fluorocarbon use, all purpose MH). I would rather pay just a little more and get something different like the Conquest, mainly because I already have a Zillion, and the Bantam is a bit large spooled for me.

The way my rods are setup though, I would either have to move my Millionaire to a 7'2"M rod (shaky head rod), or try and use the Conquest there. I figure I would use 10lb Tatsu if possible. For my Aldebaran BFS, I used 7lb Sunline FC Sniper Invisible (the multi green JDM one). It has a diameter of .0096"/.245mm, and the reel held about 55 yards or so, maybe more (was about 3 and a half driveways/front yards worth walking down the street). 10lb Tatsu is listed at .010"/.260mm, so it is just a tad thicker and might work?

I know it makes more sense to use 10lb for the Millionaire and use it on the shaky head rod, but I use this rod a lot on every trip, so I would prefer to have one of my highest end reels on it. Right now the Millionaire has 8lb Tatsu and rides on a 6'10"ML rod, so honestly the Conquest would take that place nicely, just wondered if it was possible to use a BFS reel like this for light general duty...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thicker/Heavier FC for BFS reel

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:28 am

Why not use finesse braid at the base, and then a leader of your heavier FC? This is what I've been doing lately. You can get plenty of braid on the reel for the "just in case" scenarios and then a good length of FC to handle what you really want to do. My leaders are 20 - 30 feet in length (about 4-5 pulls with outstretched arms).
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:05 am

I use in most my BFS fishing 33.5 lb / 0.49 mm FC leader. My leaders are length of rod - I don't reel knot in. Attached by FG knot. Works well but not in lightest rods and smallest micro guides.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:13 am

There are those "in between" finesse reels such as the Aldebaran 30 and Alphas SV 800s (shallow spool). They give you a little more line capacity than a BFS reel.

Braid with a top shot as Cal stated is pretty common too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:49 am

Cal wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:28 am
Why not use finesse braid at the base, and then a leader of your heavier FC? This is what I've been doing lately. You can get plenty of braid on the reel for the "just in case" scenarios and then a good length of FC to handle what you really want to do. My leaders are 20 - 30 feet in length (about 4-5 pulls with outstretched arms).
This by far would be the best idea. I just cannot get into braid on casting reels. I have used it with a DIY BFS spool and heavier setups it is fine. I just enjoy straight light fluoro. No need for leaders, easy to deal with, no digging in. This was why I hesitated on the Gekkabijin, it had such low capacity, braid was the ONLY option. Eventually I will get a UL/L casting setup and run light braid, I know it further lightens the spool a bit too. Just want to use this potential new reel on a high traffic rod and light fluoro is my thing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:02 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:49 am
Eventually I will get a UL/L casting setup and run light braid, I know it further lightens the spool a bit too. Just want to use this potential new reel on a high traffic rod and light fluoro is my thing.
The most difficult part is finding a knot you're comfortable with .. FG or Alberto are the top two.

Once you get past that hurdle, you will come to prefer it. You will also enjoy how it prolongs your fresh spools of high end FC because you're only using so much at a time and not wasting any at the bottom of the spool.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:01 pm

Sounds a genious way to use mono in a BFS setup! Actually despite of I am a mono-hater, I may try this...

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:46 am

The Gekkabijin with a Ray’s deep finesse spool does a fine job with light duty work. Mine is on a ML St. Croix loaded with 8# Tatsu. It may end up with a braid w/fluoro leader approach but for now it’s straight #8 Fluoro.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:55 pm

It’s so interesting to hear about you guys in the states fishing such heavy leader on BFS setups and reluctant to use braid. I fish 10lb braid with 6lb - 10lb mono leader and have never had an issue with braid digging in or making its way between the spool and the frame of the reel. It also adds so much distance to my casting as there is virtually zero drag resistance against the line on the cast, braid just cuts through the air so much easier.
I don’t think I could ever go back to mono on a baitcaster reel, BFS or otherwise. It’s like fishing with a rubber band in comparison and the memory of mono is terrible when coming off the spool.
Just my own personal experience/thoughts, not saying I’m right, but braid just works for me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:05 pm

Braided line is probably what I'd run if I was in a survival situation, but for ease of use, I like straight fluoro. I want to run it, I just always have issues.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:03 pm

I use over thick FC leader to create floating force during reeling, making it easier to fish in really shallow conditions. And long one FG knot is really good marker to see what's happening in the end of line similar to indicator in fly fishing, especially in case off there's murky waters and it's impossible to see deeper than 6 inches. Moreover to that it creates good protection against rocks and pikes.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:22 am

After thinking about it a while, I think the 10lb Tatsu should be fine. Should get two fills out of a 100 meter spool too. Now the next thing is to find out if the covered nut from the old Aldebaran MGL will work on the Conquest BFS. Added that and a Curado MGL handle/nut cover to my Aldebaran BFS, so I assume the same combo should work for the Conquest BFS?