Guide choice

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Guide choice

Post by Lastworm » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:40 pm

So I’ve gone and started the process of having another custom rod built, this time a finesse baitcaster on a 2-6lb NFork blank with a short handle section.

I’m discussing guides with the builder and originally opted for Recoil guides but asked about the preference of Recoils over titanium. He said he always uses one of the two on his really light rods, but most have recoils. However if I was to go with titanium the recommendation would be to go to micro guides giving me a tip guide size of around 4.5-5.

Now I’m torn, I’ve never loved micro guides, and like the idea of the weight reduction of Recoils. I’ve done my research and the noise factor of Recoils doesn’t worry me, and I don’t think they will be an issue with 6lb braid in terms of getting damaged, my only thought is they don’t have the most premium look to them.

This isn’t going to be a cheap build so wanted to hear others experiences with both options on a BFS baitcaster.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Guide choice

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:54 am

One factor might be how well Recoils vs. ceramic rings pass braid-to-leader knots. Do you plan to use leaders, and if so, what would be the largest diameter? What is your joining knot of preference?

I don't know that Recoils would impede knot passage more than ceramic guides would, but the latter typically have a beveled side that could help a knot jump the guide entrance, while a Recoil guide's thin ring would seem to pose an abrupt obstacle to a knot approaching at high speed.

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, this is something else I should have mentioned, I do use leaders and will continue to do so with this set up. I normally run a double uni as it’s quick to tie especially out on the water in a kayak. I’ve not mastered the FG knot as it’s just so tricky to tie with 6lb braid.

I would have thought the internal diameter of a micro guide would be smaller than a recoil as the recoils don’t have an insert?

I also see a lot of videos of people showing how well recoils spring back when bent, but in the videos the guides look so soft and rubbery?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:39 pm

5s aren't really considered micro. Personally, I'd go with titanium rings and whatever inserts you prefer. For a BFS rod, I think it's fine to go with a size 5.5 stripper guide (only double foot necessary), and 5s the rest of the way up. Not a fan of recoils myself.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:39 pm
5s aren't really considered micro. Personally, I'd go with titanium rings and whatever inserts you prefer. For a BFS rod, I think it's fine to go with a size 5.5 stripper guide (only double foot necessary), and 5s the rest of the way up. Not a fan of recoils myself.
Agree. Torzite all day. 6-5-4-4-4-4-4.... size 5 Torzite is HUGE :)

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:38 pm

Ok you’ve sold me, will be going for titanium Torzite guides, thanks for the advice guys, will post pics of the rod once it’s complete!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:28 pm

Lastworm wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:38 pm
Ok you’ve sold me, will be going for titanium Torzite guides, thanks for the advice guys, will post pics of the rod once it’s complete!
Solid choice