Thoughts on high end bfs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Thoughts on high end bfs?

Post by HellaBread » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 pm

bulldog1935 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 pm
If you're limiting yourself to the lightest baits cast to the greatest distance, you probably can't go too light on the spool.
If you're looking for something more versatile, the spool weight is less significant.
E.g. having moving-inductor SV function on Daiwa lets you use the same spool for maximum lure range. That moving-inductor mechanism adds 3 g to the spool vs. a fixed-inductor (linear mag only) spool.

I can't find it, but TryAngle has a blurb on their recent Tough-Light spools for Isuzu reel BFS-mod - in it, they state that they optimized their spool weights through trials, and that lightest is not always best.
The moving conducting mass is part of Lenz' equation, so you need enough mass to get a sufficient mag brake.
nah they weren’t going for the lightest iirc that entire discussion/argument was literally over the casting distance of a 2g plug with one adamant a “sub 2.5g spool was the key to noticeable distance increase over a 3.6g spool”. It was wack to read through

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Re: Thoughts on high end bfs?

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:22 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:09 pm
I love the Blue Current III 82b, just that here in middle Tennessee, on these creeks and rivers, it's many times jungle warfare and very tight confines for casting. Lol.
Doesn't count as high-end-gear, but I've had a jones for Abu/JP baitfinesse rods since my first Salty Style micro-jig.

I just added the 4-pc 6'5" Xrossfield ML, and 2 g is the sweet spot on this rod, sailing past 100' from my Silver Wolf.

Liked it enough, I went back for the 2-pc and permanent niche in my kayak. Now that I have mine, here's the $50 closeout
https://www.naturum.co.jp/product/?itemcd=2584666
I put together a Naturum cart through my long-time Japan broker noppin.com, including lines, lures, and Meiho boxes.
Image Ima K-Ta mullet
Here's a Rakuten search, in case you have a Buyee or ZenMarket account.