Great Hunting vs. "Huntsman"

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
JTK37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Great Hunting vs. "Huntsman"

Post by JTK37 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:39 am

My BFS obsession has led me down a lot of rabbit holes. The newest one has been searching for a Megabass Great Hunting Huntsman 48 UL rod. Looks like the Hook Up Tackle has stock coming in early spring.

The Huntsman is kind of my holy grail and most sought after item at this point. Small stream fishing, lots of small 1-2g soft plastics(trout magnet, EPF swims, Z-man etc) and trout plugs.

But now I've seen the standard Great Hunting 48 UL Extreme Climber. Not as much a work of art as the Huntsman without the wood grip, but the overall specs look the same.

So has anyone fished either of them, or both? Comparisons or thoughts? What has fished best, what are they capable of? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks,
Joe

Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Great Hunting vs. "Huntsman"

Post by Okie2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 pm

I obtained 4 different Megabass rods (all P5’s) when bfs bit. Nice rods but might look at the Graywolf rods out of Michigan. Super nice.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:49 pm

I think jdmtackleheaven has the extreme climber on sale for 30% off right now not sure if its the spinning or casting version

JTK37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JTK37 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:00 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:49 pm
I think jdmtackleheaven has the extreme climber on sale for 30% off right now not sure if its the spinning or casting version

Oh man, thank you. It’s the spinning model but I may have to grab one

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:23 pm

JTK37 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:00 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:49 pm

Oh man, thank you. It’s the spinning model but I may have to grab one
I have the spinning version and I paid significantly more for it. It is a great little mountain stream rod, very versatile. I believe the blank is glass or at least has a glass tip so its a little noodly but I like it a lot.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:57 am

Okie2 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 pm
I obtained 4 different Megabass rods (all P5’s) when bfs bit. Nice rods but might look at the Graywolf rods out of Michigan. Super nice.
Shane makes very nice rods, I own a couple of them. One is a 4'10" 3-piece 2-6lb and the other is a 5'4" 2-piece 4-8lb, both fantastic rods. The 4-8 is my favorite of the two, it fishes my favorite lures (4-6g minnows) exceptionally well.

FishingGiraffe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishingGiraffe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:10 pm

I now have both the GH 48-4 and the Huntsman 48-3
The GH is much stiffer, i cannot throw my 1g flies on it.

Its a great all around travel rod though I would for sure pick it if it was the only one i could take and i was traveling.

GH is must softer and almost has a floppy tip - watch the videos online of it in use and youll see what i mean.
I can EASILY cast 1g on it.