NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Bbrotz
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm

NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Bbrotz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:09 am

I don’t know if anyone has noticed yet but NFC just added the 6100-1 Drop shot blank to their X-ray lineup a couple weeks ago. It’s listed with all the same specs as the Nrx 822 DSR: 3/16 - 1/2oz Mag-Medium. I ordered two right when they went up and can’t wait to build them out. For comparisons sake I’m going to build the first blank using the same guide layout/ components as the Nrx 822 DSR, and then I’m going to build the second blank with Fuji Torzites and a carbon skinned foam core Tennessee grip. First off I want to see how these blanks compare to the almighty 822 DSR. Second I want to see if the guide layout found on the Nrx is actually more sensitive than the Fuji Torzites. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on whether the recoil guides found on the Nrx make the rod more sensitive.The 822 is one of my favorite rods so hopefully these blanks do not disappoint :)

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm

Did you order an LMX or HMx? Their description at the top is of the HMx, but the options for ordering only show LMX.

Bbrotz
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:58 am

I ordered the X-Ray LMX. I don’t see any description that says HMx, it just says “DS 6100-1(X-Ray LMX)”

Bbrotz
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:09 am

I just got the blanks in yesterday. I can already tell these are going to make some amazing drop shot rods. I haven’t taken any measurements yet but I compared them side by side of my Nrx 822 DSR and the action is almost spot on. Now I just have to find the time to build them up

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11874
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 am

I have one on the way too... can't decide if I should build it out as a casting or spinning rod though :-k
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by mobass11652 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 am

I would suggest building one of each and see which you find to be the more effective tool

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11874
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 am

mobass11652 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 am
I would suggest building one of each and see which you find to be the more effective tool
only one blank to work with so it's an either or situation ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 am
mobass11652 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 am
I would suggest building one of each and see which you find to be the more effective tool
only one blank to work with so it's an either or situation ;)
But if you're only getting one of an expensive good thing, how will I know that I'm still on TackleTour? :lol:

If this goes up straight against the NRX 822 DSR I'll definitely interested in how it compares when dropshotting. Hoping you stress-test that application even if it ends up being a BC.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11874
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 pm

The OP can make the NRX comparison, not I... I don't have the DSR822S NRX... i prefer the DSR820 and that's only available in GLX ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by mobass11652 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Cal I am saying build 2 rods. A caster and a spinner both utilizing the same model blank as the base of the build.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11874
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:11 pm

mobass11652 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 pm
Cal I am saying build 2 rods. A caster and a spinner both utilizing the same model blank as the base of the build.
And I am saying I only purchased one blank so it is an either or situation.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:20 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:11 pm
mobass11652 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 pm
Cal I am saying build 2 rods. A caster and a spinner both utilizing the same model blank as the base of the build.
And I am saying I only purchased one blank so it is an either or situation.
I think he wants you to buy a 2nd blank lol!
But srsly, make it a casting rod. I'm interested to see how that stacks up for dropshot and light neko rigs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Bbrotz
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 am

Cal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 am
I have one on the way too... can't decide if I should build it out as a casting or spinning rod though :-k
I’ve tried dropshotting with a casting rod and could never really get used to it [-X What reel seat and guides are you planning on using?

I just ordered all the guides and components for my builds. I already have some custom carbon fiber skinned foam core Tennessee grips so I will be using those

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Please post your results, I'll be following this thread as well! Thanks!

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11874
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 am
Cal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 am
I have one on the way too... can't decide if I should build it out as a casting or spinning rod though :-k
I’ve tried dropshotting with a casting rod and could never really get used to it [-X What reel seat and guides are you planning on using?
Undecided... blank just arrived today. I'll unpack it tomorrow and start the slow process of deciding what I want to do with it.

I drop shot and ned rig with casting rods all the time, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Post Reply