Nano resin - from the 2011 Custom Rod Expo

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Nano resin - from the 2011 Custom Rod Expo

Post by RGMatt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 am

btune wrote:Yes I spent several minutes with a S610 comparing it to the ML and others. I ordered 2 of the spin models! I do not have a lot of experience with the extra fast action so I am looking forward to getting one in my hands! I do use a Loomis 811 for shaky heads so the comparison will be interesting. We fish a lot of plastics on various lead heads so this should fill the slot for 8-10 pound line with 5/16 down to 1/8 lead heads. Hands on sold me 3M resin or not.
you think it will handle 1/8oz well? Its alot heavier than I expected. Been starring at it since it came in and keep going back and forth. Might be too much rod for 1/8-3/16 w/ small/light plastics . I just don't know ](*,)

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:02 am

nano resins have been around for a while and the virtues of the nanospheres have been well documented in the composite world. I am glad they have finally trickled into the fishing industry! I still fish with a bunch of "old" elite brown blank rods that have caught 1000's of fish, so anything new to make them better and stronger is great.

I can say that i have built about 12 elites/extremes this year with the NSI and they have all measured (RDA) similarly to the previous elites and extremes, so there should be no surprises. Some of my buddies have commented that the rods feel "crisper" there is nothing that i have been able to measure quantitatively

overall, i see the NSI as a win-win. IMO, stcroix has the best, most complete high end blank line available to builders and if the rods have more ultimate strength, that is just icing on the cake!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 pm

[quote="jimmyb"]IMO, stcroix has the best, most complete high end blank line available to builders [quote]

I'll second that.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Mattman wrote:[
RGMatt wrote: He also said the 68MXF is not the same taper as the new 610MXF.
Double ???

I guess I have pretty good info to the contrary on both accounts.
Mattman,
I got the LEC68MXF (replacement for the 1 usps broke)deleivered this afternoon and it really doesn't look to be the same taper as the 610MXF. Just by lining them up from tips or from the butts they look different. the 68 has a lighter tip from the looks of it. Hard to tell though b/c 1 is a finished rod. I may be returning the 610 for another 68 .

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 am

Interesting.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to put the 610 up on my measuring board to confirm. I've got a couple interested parties in that blank, but haven't had the need to order one yet.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:29 am

eyes can deceive... do you have a set a calipers that you can accurately measure the diameters?

IF the blanks are different, this contrary to what the factory has told me. they said it was off the same mandrel and just trimmed differently. So you might see some small dia differences, depending on where they decided to trim

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 am

jimmyb wrote:eyes can deceive... do you have a set a calipers that you can accurately measure the diameters?
I agree, I don't have a good set but I'll take a closer look