Guides

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Guides

Post by adriancean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Hy. Going to buy a set of guides for a rod Lamiglas Skeet Reese and I have not yet decided which to take. My first option which I think is SIC Titanium. What do you recommend for braid? Thanks.
Until next time....Tight Lines!

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Guides

Post by Bigs|ick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 am

Stick with fuji guides. I used alconites on my sr But if the budgett allows for sic's. Go sic

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 am

Any decent ceramic is going to stand up to braid.

On a custom rod, I really don't see the point in doing anything less than an Alconite. And Alconite is just fine for a cranking stick. Especially a big heavy glass rod. Its not like sensitivity or light weight are really terms that go with these blanks.

SiC is one of the highest grade ceramics out there and in identical frames to the Alconites, are about 15% lighter. Titanium frames are another 15%+ lighter. So, when sensitivity and weight reduction are critical, TiSiC's are great guides to use.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Mattman wrote:Any decent ceramic is going to stand up to braid.

On a custom rod, I really don't see the point in doing anything less than an Alconite. And Alconite is just fine for a cranking stick. Especially a big heavy glass rod. Its not like sensitivity or light weight are really terms that go with these blanks.

SiC is one of the highest grade ceramics out there and in identical frames to the Alconites, are about 15% lighter. Titanium frames are another 15%+ lighter. So, when sensitivity and weight reduction are critical, TiSiC's are great guides to use.
Agreed. I put Alconites in chrome on mine. One thing you might want to consider is the color of the guide frame. On that blank, a black framed guide will show through red wraps. I think black thread is OK...but any other lighter color will let the frame come through. Just a little cosmetic nit there.

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Titanium frame would look good on this blank? Or not....

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:34 pm

I used black alconites on my Skeet Reese. Used black eva with some burl cork inlays and green thread trimmed with chrome. Looks cool enough. I'm not a big chrome guide fan.

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:53 am

Does anyone have a rod with titanium Sic guides? You can upload a picture of a titaniun sic guide? On the web I found enough differences in shades and I want to see how it looks in reality.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 am

Matt Davis

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 am

Thanks Mattman... Do you think it would look bad on a blank SR? With black wraps.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 am

Personal opinion.

With SiC being close to black, I don't see how a TiSiC guide can look bad with a black wrap. Black and silver wraps with TiSiC guides is kind of like a no-brainer.

I think the color of the SR blanks is terrible. But black would go with it.

Matt Davis