Pac Bay Minima 4 Guides

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Aristotle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pac Bay Minima 4 Guides

Post by Aristotle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

Has anyone built with Pac Bay Minima 4 Guides, and do you think it will hold up to braid?

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pac Bay Minima 4 Guides

Post by donholton » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

I just finished 3 9' fly blanks built as spinning rods with them. I've only used them for 2 weeks (with mono) but I am very pleased. I've seen posts in other places where users have had good results with braid but I haven't tried it. I used the hard chrome. They are certainly very light and I think they look very clean on the rod. I'll use more, and I'll probably try the TICH's. I went 20-12-6-4 fly to tip.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:05 am

Lots of guys don't have issues with metal ringed guides. Braid or no braid.

Personally, I don't want to take the chance so I use ceramic. A metal ring just won't have the hardness of a ceramic.

The Minima 4's are nice guides for a metal ringed guide. I've used them for some fly rod builds. I certainly feel they are at the top of the heap in their class.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 am

Mattman wrote: Personally, I don't want to take the chance so I use ceramic. A metal ring just won't have the hardness of a ceramic.

- I agree. Ceramic guides trumped metal in popularity decades ago... for several reasons... there is a world of difference in heat dissipation also.

Aristotle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Aristotle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:24 am

I decided to try using a PB Minima 4 25 mm stripper guide, a 12 and a 6 mm Minima 4 for my transition guides then used 4mm nanolite running guides and nanolite ringed tip. It casts really well and appears to save weight without the high price of Ti guides. I will have to see how they last over time.