How much would it cost and who can do it?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How much would it cost and who can do it?

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 pm

I am interested in replacing the guides on my light & tough with micro guides and s-series with sic's. What would labor cost on something like that? Has anybody tried this and what did you pay for it?

Is it hard to replace the handles on those rods or even worth it? I have had a couple of s-series handles come loose.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: How much would it cost and who can do it?

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 pm

If you're going to all the trouble to redo the entire rod, you'd probably be better off just starting a new rod from scratch. Unless you have some sentimental love for the rod, or its just an amazing blank that you can't find anywhere else, you can spend as much or more money getting the rod blank stripped and into a buildable condition as you would on a brand new blank. Plus, you've lost your factory warranty on a project like this.

Can it be done?...Sure.

Is it worth it?...For you to decide.

Most repair guys charge about $8 - $10 per guide (single foots) to replace guides. $10 - $12 for double foots. Plus the cost of the guide. That's probably as good of a rule of thumb as you'll get for something like this.

I'd expect a minimum of $100 for a full guide replacement. Another $20+ for a set of guides. Freight.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 am

for freight expect $20 each way.

complete guide replacement is never worth it unless it a sentimental rod. even with my personal rods I will start over and build from scratch if I want to experiment. once finish issue applied to a wrap, the only time I will cut it off is if a guide is broke!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 am

I know a board member that had micros put on a Steez Compile-X. However, he used a local builder, so the freight was not too bad. Made a big difference in the rod. A Steez might be worth it...a L&T might be hard to justify.

You'd probably do better just getting it spiral wrapped. I did that to my Fat Mini. You'd probably only need to buy a few guides for the wrap portion.

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 am

just do it yourself if you have the time to do it. its simple and not that difficult at all. google is your friend! its easier then you think and isnt that time consuming either. however, if you want it to look nice it will be very tedious.
T.W.A.T. Member