Spiral or Straight Guide Set Up

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spiral or Straight Guide Set Up

Post by Nektarios » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi there!
I have a honey coloured Lamiglas glass blank (7' length) and a St Croix glass blank (6'6" length) on the way. I plan on using micro guides for these builds.

I have never built a rod with a spiral guide set up before.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the rods and guide set ups.
Thanks for your feedback!
Nick

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Spiral or Straight Guide Set Up

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 am

I won't build a personal rod that isn't spiral wrapped. There are no down sides to doing so, only positives. So I see no reason to build a rod with the guides on the top.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 am

I only have one non-spiral wrapped baitcaster and it's just for demonstration, I don't fish it. All my other baitcasters are spiral wrapped, like Matt said, there is no downside. And for those that are skeptical, I'd challenge any of them to a blindfolded casting session where they are handed rods blindly and they just cast them.
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:47 am

There is only one downside to a spiral wrap, if you haven't seen them they look weird. Other than that spirals are the only way to go. To me a rod with guides on top looks generic. I haven't fished a non-spiral in 30 years and hve no plans to start.

Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nektarios » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 am

Based on my research the set up for a simple spiral would be (from the reel to tip)
Guide 1 at 20-30 degrees
Guide 2 at 90 degrees
Remaining guides at 180 degrees

Does that sound correct?

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:11 am

I always do a slow spiral, and I static test all my guide placements. The stripper guide is set at negative degrees just to make sure the line comes down the centerline of the blank, if it comes off the side like your setup has it, you may get slight line stacking to one side of the spool, nothing critical, but to me it's one of the details I don't like to miss. I use a simple spiral on my ice rods and a slow spiral on my long rods, so it's more like -5 deg. 60 deg., 120 deg., 180 deg. to the tip. Distance between my spiral bumpers is 4" from the stripper and 4" from each guide until I hit my running guides and I may space that one out just a tad more depending on my static testing.
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 am

guide #3-4 doesnt have to be all the way to 180, there is really no hard and fast rule. Depends on the diameter of the blank and how the blank bends

i have never had an issue with line stacking... with stripper being rotated, but the beauty of custom building is that you can do it however you want!

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

Would I have some difference in casting distance/precision depending on what kind of spiral wrap I use (slow or simple)?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Spiral wraps can create an entangled mess in the rod locker vs guides on top configuration, but otherwise is superior in almost all other performance categories.

Luckily, mesh rod covers can resolve the entanglement issues.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."