North Fork vs Loomis

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
stumpy041486
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

North Fork vs Loomis

Post by stumpy041486 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 am

How do the north fork blanks compare to loomis blanks? Do they use the same blanks? I have been told that they are, but I thought they were different. Also, what about the Z Bone rods. Arent they North Fork also? Are they the same as the blanks that you buy?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: North Fork vs Loomis

Post by Cal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm

stumpy041486 wrote: Do they use the same blanks? I have been told that they are, but I thought they were different.
North Fork Composites only rolls blanks.

G.Loomis uses G.Loomis blanks.

ZBones are built on North Fork Composite blanks.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 pm

ZBones blanks are built BY North Fork, but I do not believe that they are actual North Fork models.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 am

stumpy041486 wrote: How do the north fork blanks compare to loomis blanks?
Gary is designing his new blanks very similarly to how he did his old blanks. Overall, I have seen actions a bit slower in the Mag Bass blanks I've measured up. And there are quite a few different models in many lines.

stumpy041486 wrote:Do they use the same blanks?
No! G. Loomis had filed several lawsuits against Gary Loomis. They are in no way affiliated. (other than Gary Loomis starting G. Loomis)

stumpy041486 wrote: Also, what about the Z Bone rods. Arent they North Fork also?
North Fork makes the blanks for the Z Bones.

stumpy041486 wrote:Are they the same as the blanks that you buy?
No. Kistler has their own propretary blanks. They are made by North Fork, but they aren't North Fork blanks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:50 am

Mattman wrote:Overall, I have seen actions a bit slower.
This is disappointing. When will somebody make a blank comparable to the bcr's?

WoodsmenRods
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WoodsmenRods » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 am

Nevermind
Last edited by WoodsmenRods on Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 am

5bites wrote:
Mattman wrote:Overall, I have seen actions a bit slower.

probably mudhole will come the closes and personally haven't tried their bass blanks againts a gloomis, i just bought the salmon steelhead blanks so can't comment on that but Mattman has a lot of expieriences with the mhx againts the gloomis before that catastrophic crash as I remember.
here is the link
http://forums.mudhole.coms/index.php?showtopic=3335

Q: Who's blanks are they "copied from"?
A: Regarding "copy" verses "original" confusion – Mud Hole may have been guilty of this in our effort to explain the MHX line up of blanks to our customers. Mud Hole was G Loomis' largest blank distributor when G Loomis announced they were going to stop selling blanks – we knew a void in the blank market would need to be filled (you see G Loomis had done this before and we lived through that – Mud Hole's been around 35 years, you learn a few things. So right off the bat we took the best-selling models and had them replicated or copied while supervising, modifying and testing the proto types. (the whole "copy" idea in the blank business is a convoluted, long and lengthy conversation with many interesting characters, several law suits, bankruptcies and several shall we say "interesting" business deals– we'll just say this, blanks – meaning the patterns and mandrel tappers, have been copied for a long, long time in the US not just offshore). As any blank manufacturers will tell you, if you just copy a blank you get junk, you have to have a deep understanding of the blank manufacturing process, mandrel tappers, material properties and layups, blank actions and fishing applications to "copy" a blank and have it work as it is intended. There are more poor copies of blanks than good copies – often the original blanks intent is lost.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 am

5bites wrote:
St. Croix's XF models
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Sat May 14, 2011 4:33 am

Are the NFC IM blanks more sensitive than the Gloomis IMX line?

Fish On
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fish On » Sat May 14, 2011 7:32 am

I have built on Gary's new HM series of blanks. I believe they are a more sensitive rod that the current GLoomis/Shimano GLX. A couple buddies that have fished GLoomis for years tried the North Fork HM and they also agree to the sensitivity.

The new Phenix T46 graphite is also a good comparison to the GLX. It will be introduced at ICAST and a few of us were able to pick the blank up at the ICRBE in High Point this year. I bought a 7'3" Heavy, fast blank that weighs less than 1 ounce (blank only).

Mudhole has just introduced a high end MHX blank. I haven't built on this blank yet, but I trust what Bob McKamey says. It will be another "must try" blank.

Todd

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat May 14, 2011 11:57 am

Fish On wrote:
The new Phenix T46 graphite is also a good comparison to the GLX. It will be introduced at ICAST and a few of us were able to pick the blank up at the ICRBE in High Point this year. I bought a 7'3" Heavy, fast blank that weighs less than 1 ounce (blank only).

Todd
1 ounce? one?

:)

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Same thing I was thinking Jimmy...1 ounce??? :-k And a 7'3" HEAVY action!! :? I don't mean this to call anyone a fibber, but even a St Croix SCV NSI casting blank that is 7' heavy power weighs 2.5 oz...and the SCV is one of the lightest blanks out there. And this Phonix blank is longer and weighs significantly less that half of the SCV. I put this is the gotta see it to believe it....or it's gonna break very easily. And if it does weigh that and is not as fragile as a willow reed...then I gotta have it!!

Truely do not mean this as offensive Todd. Build me one of em to try!! =D> :D

STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by STETSON1B » Sat May 14, 2011 5:25 pm

i think there is nothing like the real thing (g loomis rod with a g loomis decal). j-m-o

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 pm

STETSON1B wrote:i think there is nothing like the real thing (g loomis rod with a g loomis decal). j-m-o
You've fished with all 3?
MegabassUSA.com

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 am

I believe the 1 is a typo...