New St Croix SCV/Nsi blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Sportive
Angler
Angler

New St Croix SCV/Nsi blanks?

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:48 am

Hello, could you tell me if this new blanks have different actions or power comparing to the old SCV ones? Are they still underrated (M "Croix"= MH "normal")??

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: New St Croix SCV/Nsi blanks?

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 am

From the ones I've measured...there have been no changes in action or power.

The NSi resin is to increase strength and really doesn't appear to impact anything else.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 am

OK, thank you Mattman.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am

i have built on a number of the NSI blanks and there have been no surprises. However, i had some of my buddies comment that they feel faster and crisper, but it really isnt measureable on RDA or at least not with in normal variances between blanks

The new 5c72MHM is pretty sweet though!

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 am

jimmyb wrote: The new 5c72MHM is pretty sweet though!
It's the best all around in the 5c line? Could you compare the action/power to a Phenix Ultra MBX MH or Gloomis IMX mh blank, please?

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Sportive wrote: It's the best all around in the 5c line? Could you compare the action/power to a Phenix Ultra MBX MH or Gloomis IMX mh blank, please?

best all around for what??? casting or spinning? bass fishin? technique?

If i was stuck on a desert isle and was bass fishing, i would take a 5c70MHF any day. The 5c70MF is a close second

As for power and action, the MHF is very comparable to a loomis 844. The MF is close to a 843. I would put a custom built stcroix 5c up against any GLX or NRX (they are way beyond a IMX). The factory stcroix legend elites and extremes are very well built and light rods (for factory) and i would even put the factory rods toe to toe against a GLX

i have no experience with Phenix, as i doubt many (if any) of those blanks have made it to wisconsin yet.

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:49 am

jimmyb wrote: As for power and action, the MHF is very comparable to a loomis 844. The MF is close to a 843.
Thank you, that's exactly what I need to know.

For me the MHF and 844 are a little more rigid than I prefer for an all purpose. I know they are excellent for soft baits but when fishing with treble hooks I lose fish... specially when pike fishing.

I want to build another rod for a present to my father and was looking for a St Croix because I'm sure of their quality, my Phenix mbx MH seems to be a great multipurpose but I don't know yet how much durable is the blank.

I wish I could hold in my hands the MHM of croix, but here in Europe it's more difficult to find it before buying ](*,)

RStien321
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RStien321 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am

Sportive wrote: For me the MHF and 844 are a little more rigid than I prefer for an all purpose. I know they are excellent for soft baits but when fishing with treble hooks I lose fish... specially when pike fishing.
Not to digress too much from the origanal post, but I find that I don't like any bass rod blank for pike fishing. I personally prefer a lighter musky blank (like the 4M73MHF). I just feel more confident really slamming the hooks home (especially into a pike's boney mouth) with a musky blank when I have the drag set tight with heavy braid.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:15 pm

2 questions please...

I just went to the St Croix site and they don't list blanks as "NSI", they just list SCV blanks...what am I missing?? How do I be sure I get an NSI blank and not the old SCV blanks?

Also I don't see a 5c72MHM blank listed as a casting rod? Am I missing it somehow?
:?
Not trying to nit pick, just trying to see what you guys know so I can get the correct blank.

Bill :-s

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Sat May 07, 2011 4:43 pm

white03 wrote: Also I don't see a 5c72MHM blank listed as a casting rod? Am I missing it somehow?
All the blanks aren't listed in the blanks section on-line. Download the PDF rodbuilders catalog. They're all in there.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Knew I had to be missing something...thank you :D