All around crankin stick

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

All around crankin stick

Post by drenner43 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 am

I'm thinking of having rod made for some all around cranking. My builder has suggested the MHX CB845 or St. Croix 3c70MHM. Anybody have any experience with these blanks or any other suggestions? Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: All around crankin stick

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 am

The MHM is one of the very best all around crankin' sticks.

The MHX is probably just like the Loomis version which was also outstanding for an all around crankin' stick.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 am

3c70mhm is the winner, works well for just about any bait with a treble hook! traps, jerks, cranks, topwaters, etc

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm

The CB845 is hands down my favorite rod to fish with (it might have something to do with the fact that I love shallow cranks.) I built mine with a AT reel seat and ringlock guides, a hypalon grip and eva butt. A CV-Z millionaire sits on it with 14lbs mono and I love it for shallow cranks and wakebaits. You can't go wrong with the MHX line price and warranty are great. To be honest the St. Croix is pretty nice to, but I'd go with the MHX.

Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Wafflejaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am

I cant speak for the St.Croix..But I recently built myself a CB843 I had an extra of.
I built it as a shallow crank/light jerkbait rod.
I'm pleasantly impressed with it with the little time Ive fished it...It loads and responds very nice to 100 series which I had it pegged for.
Good luck!
Walker

STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by STETSON1B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:06 pm

go with a lamiglas skeet reese cranking stick those are bad ass

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 am

STETSON1B wrote:go with a lamiglas skeet reese cranking stick those are bad ass
+1
MB841E I believe is the rod. Outstanding glass rod. I have a couple that a buddy built for me on that blank and they are the most fun and versatile rod I own!
They get wayyyy more use and I get a lot more enjoyment fishing those than any of my Loomis CB blank rods including the CB845.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 am

STETSON1B wrote:go with a lamiglas skeet reese cranking stick those are bad ass

...if you like glass...
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to stay away from glass, but thanks for the input!

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:11 pm

The Seeker Bs706s has always been the standard.I highly suggest the lamiglas mb841e also.If you dont like the Honey colored blank,get the BMB841E (it is the same blank in black) they just call it "certified pro".
If you dont want Glass-I built a Phenix X10 for my brother,and it has to be the lightest cranker i have ever built,and one of the lightest rods period.You will not be dissapointed if you try an X10!
Matt

thedude
Angler
Angler

Post by thedude » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 am

I think the seeker 706 is the best all around, i've thrown everything from a tiny LC SKT MR to a series 6xd on them and never once felt under or overpowered. The lamis are great as well, not quite powerful enough for deep divers though. I have a castaway xp3 965 in the basement getting ready to go - I might keep it for traps, but i can already tell i won't like it for deep cranks.

I don't mention any other graphite blanks because i've never picked up a graphite crankin rod that i actually liked for cranking - i've found them very useful for topwater, jerkbaits, traps, even spinnerbaits and drop shotting... but typically find anything under a MH is way to light for pretty much anything useful and the MH - H powers you are so stiff you are constantly straining against the pull of the bait when compared to a glass rod. Running a series 6 doesn't pull much harder than a series 3 on my seeker. My partner uses all loomis and it feels like you are fighting a fish every cast - he loves them, after trying a few of them you'd have to pay me to fish with them. To much work for me. The sensitivity is nice, but I don't have any trouble feeling bottom or bites with any of my glass rods.