? for Matt Davis

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
snooking80
Angler
Angler

? for Matt Davis

Post by snooking80 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:17 am

Matt,

First off, congratulations for being picked for the NFC Custom Rodbuilder Program. I have seen some of your work and it is absolutely breathtaking. I got to say you're definitely one of the best rod builders out there and your fit and finish is immaculate.

If you do not mind me asking I have a couple of questions about a particular rod build (NFC pic).

First, where did you purchase the skinny/light silver winding check and cork rings that are shown on the NFC website photograph. I have seen some winding checks for sale at MH and Acidrod but they look fatter and rather different in the pictures. Also, did you apply any type of finish product to the cork, it looks very lively and shinny.

Secondly, did you build an epoxy ramp next to the winding check and then wrapped the thread over it to create that angled look or is it thread over thread. Approximately how many mm from the blank to the winding check's inside surface.

Sorry for all the inquisition but as a rookie rodbuilder I just had to ask. LOL

Thank you in advance. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pedro

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: ? for Matt Davis

Post by Mattman » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am

Sorry for the delayed reply…I’ve been away for several days.

snooking80 wrote:
First off, congratulations for being picked for the NFC Custom Rodbuilder Program. I have seen some of your work and it is absolutely breathtaking. I got to say you're definitely one of the best rod builders out there and your fit and finish is immaculate.
Thank you.

[quote="snooking80"

First, where did you purchase the skinny/light silver winding check and cork rings that are shown on the NFC website photograph. I have seen some winding checks for sale at MH and Acidrod but they look fatter and rather different in the pictures. Also, did you apply any type of finish product to the cork, it looks very lively and shinny.

[/quote]

Matagi. I prefer the styling of their checks. http://www.matagi.co.jp/alumiparts/eng/htwcbe.htm

I do like Fuji’s as well. Available from most Fuji retailers. Bingham Enterprises for instance.

snooking80 wrote:

Secondly, did you build an epoxy ramp next to the winding check and then wrapped the thread over it to create that angled look or is it thread over thread.
Nope. That is just a thread wrap butted right up to a winding check. The epoxy wants to naturally cling to the check and creates its own ramp.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

snooking80
Angler
Angler

Post by snooking80 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:55 am

Matt,

I totally agree, Matagi has the best dress parts available the only problem is getting those parts to the US. I know Marricktackle carries some of their stuff but you need a business account to deal with them, the only other place I know that's open to the public is Johnnyspond so I will give them a call to see if they have any of these items in stock.

Very cool, the depth of the epoxy gives the illusion that the thread is wrapped at an angle.

Did you apply any finish product to the cork grips, they look great.

I am still not quite set up for CCS and I know that you work with a lot SC blanks so I was wondering if you could share with me the AA and ENR for a 2010 5S68MXF, plus a couple of 2011 (NSI) 5S68MXF and 5C70MF. I would really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Pedro

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed May 04, 2011 6:20 am

snooking80 wrote:
Did you apply any finish product to the cork grips, they look great.
U-40 Cork Seal

snooking80 wrote: I am still not quite set up for CCS and I know that you work with a lot SC blanks so I was wondering if you could share with me the AA and ENR for a 2010 5S68MXF, plus a couple of 2011 (NSI) 5S68MXF and 5C70MF. I would really appreciate it.
Unfortunately, I do not use CCS. I use a different system and the numbers don't translate over.
Matt Davis

snooking80
Angler
Angler

Post by snooking80 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:40 am

Ok, so based on the way you do your blank testing do you have any info on how the 5S68MXF compares to a Loomis BSR803 and the 5C70MF to a MB843. Which one of the two brands offer the faster more powerful blanks. I appreciate it. Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Thu May 05, 2011 12:23 am

snooking80 wrote:Which one of the two brands offer the faster more powerful blanks.
Well...since Loomis doesn't offer blanks...the answer by default would be St. Croix.

snooking80 wrote: Ok, so based on the way you do your blank testing do you have any info on how the 5S68MXF compares to a Loomis BSR803
The 68MXF is nearly identical to the BCR802 blank. Slightly faster and slightly lighter.

snooking80 wrote: 5C70MF to a MB843.
I haven't measured up a 2010 or newer model of the Croix yet. The 70MF is about 12% less powerful, is about 6° in action, and is about 3% lighter in weight. So, they're pretty comparable.
Matt Davis