need guides for custom casting rod!!

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
andref
Angler
Angler

need guides for custom casting rod!!

Post by andref » Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 am

Need some help finding some high end blue/ gunmetal guides for a rod i am making, anybody got experience with guides from D-blue fishing guides? he offers som nice guides with silicon carbide rings at a good price!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Concept-SIC-Casting ... 5ad8da9c4b

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: need guides for custom casting rod!!

Post by white03 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Hummm...those are good looking guides, like you I wonder if they are any good?? I also am building a rod and wondering what guides to get??

Hopefully some of these knowledgable guysd will answer

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon May 09, 2011 2:32 am

No experience with that seller.

If you're looking at that particular set of guides...

That sizing set up is more along the lines of Muskie gear. Those are some big guides.

Concept implies Fuji. However, I don't see Fuji listed.

The frames seem a bit reflective to be LNSG's. But photos a difficult to pick that up.

Fuji also stamps the single foot with text and I don't see any here.

I don't know...I find something to be off here. Just my 2 cents.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon May 09, 2011 3:45 am

I'm about 100% certain those are knock offs. I'd be very afraid to take the risk.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 pm

I bought one set of their sic, this is what I can say, fuji has a nicer and thicker material with regards to frame and finishing (color and pressed edges on the foot, but no one cares about the edges on the foot because you still have to sand it down to accomodate a nicer thread wrap) with regards to hardness of the metal frame against a fuji, this one is hard enough and probably good enough even with a thinner frame bec overall weight of the rod will show. For a pacbay black frame comparison, the frame is almost the same thickness and pacbay is using a much more softer metal, I tried sanding down all my frame by hand and this is what I noticed, ceramic finishing I can't tell for now, visually it looks the same as the fuji, only time will tell as you use it.