About Rod Decals

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Sportive
Angler
Angler

About Rod Decals

Post by Sportive » Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 am

Hello friends. I have a question about how to put properly the rod decals.

I have 2 different types of decals: "peel & stick" and waterslide.
If the blank has matte finish what I must use for cover the decals? And if the blank is painted?

For the waterslide type, do you add something to the water in order to be more easy to place the decal while you are looking for the best position?

Thank you for your help!!

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: About Rod Decals

Post by lpquick » Wed May 11, 2011 7:47 am

Add a little soap to the water slide decals to help it slide - then pat down to remove any possible air bubbles and let dry. I would then add clearcoat to preserve either type.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Thu May 12, 2011 3:08 am

I use the waterslide decals and have not added anything to the water and been quite happy with the results. They come off very easily for me; in fact I have had one fold over it came off so readily.

Prior to soaking, I spray with Krylon Crystal Clear with UV/protectant to seal and protect the ink from fading, and I use rod finish over the decals to protect them.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am

Both types of decals require a coat of finish on the blank.

For waterslides, I don't even dip them in water. I lay them face down on a piece of foil and drip distilled water, from an eyedropper, on the backer paper til it's covered. Let sit about a minute and slide it onto the blank. if you don't soak it, you lessen the chances of the adhesive washing away. Squeegee any water out and let dry for 12 hours or so, then apply a top coat of finish.

For peel-n-sticks, I stick'em where they need to be, apply a little heat from a hair dryer and burnish the h3ll out of it. Peel away the cover sheet and coat with finish.

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 am

Ok, thanks for the help!