My new custom extreme ultralight

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My new custom extreme ultralight

Post by NCbigbass » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 am

Well I just read Joe Robinson's "piscatorial absurdities" about extreme ultralight fishing, mainly for trout and smallmouth, and it inspired me to build this rod. Keep in mind my camera is 7 or 8 years old and I am not very good with it either. Mr. Robinson suggests building the ultimate ultralight spinning rod on a 6' 2 or 3 weight fly rod blank. I chose the St. Croix SCIV/SCII blank which they use for the imperial fly rod series. It is a 6' 2 weight 2 piece fast action that weighs .6 ounces bare. It is ideal for throwing the little 1/32 ounce size 1 Panther Martin spinners, and hand-tied 1/64 and 1/32 ounce marabou jigs that I have used for years. Other specs are as follows:
Fuji Titanium frame Sic micros. The thread looks pink in pics but it is only slightly lighter than the burgundy blank. I used 7 guides plus the tip (16, 8L, 5, then 3.5's to the tip). I opted for a 8" tennessee handle with the rod wrap as I love the weight savings and simplicity it offers. For now, I have a Shimano Sienna 500 on it, and before you laugh, look at a parts diagram for this reel compared to the Sedona, Sahara, or Symetre 500, and tell me it is not basically the same reel. I have put a carbontex washer in the spool (the 500's only have one), and have it spooled with Trilene XL 2 pound test. Caught a bunch of bluegill yesterday with it, was an absolute ball. I hooked something that I fought for at least 5 minutes and never even saw, I could not get it to come up. My little rod was doubled over! I am thinking it was a 5-6 pound bass, but I will never know because it finally broke me off in some brush. Anyways, thought I would share.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My new custom extreme ultralight

Post by cst » Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 am

I want to get one wrapped too. I was going to go for a much longer rod though. A 7'9" 3wt.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adyy » Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm

nice, nice, nice !!!

did you weighted the rod? How much it has? It's much above 1oz?
http://ultralightworks.weebly.com/

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 am

very nice! gotta love build a rod the way you want it for the technique that you want! That short rod would definately be the ticket for stream fishing!

if i ever give up tournament fishing, i am gonna go ultralite and get back to fishing streams!

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Wed May 18, 2011 2:46 am

I build rod also.. I have never built an UL though.. That is really nice and your threadwork/wraps are beautiful.. Nice work.. I have only fished for trout a couple of times down below the Bull Shoals Dam, and it was a blast... Now that I live down in central Ms though my trout fishing possibilities have really gone out the door.. Nice setup though..
Pmedicbm

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Wow...fun rod and very attractive to boot!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:26 pm

My type of rod and excellent choice of reel. The Symetre 500 is the ultralight spinning reel I have gone to. Upgrade bearings, line roller and drag washers and it is as close as one can get to a Stella 500 today.

Latest rod build is on the St Croix 7', 3 weight. A little extra length, great casting stroke and very sensitive.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Meticulous work on the wrappings! Looks great. Glad it fills the bill for 'gills.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 am

Great job on the rod! =D>

I bet it's a "blast" to fish with. :mrgreen:

vanschalkwykstephen
Angler
Angler

Post by vanschalkwykstephen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:05 am