Fuji SKTS and ACS seats.

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fuji SKTS and ACS seats.

Post by cjtoad » Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm

First thing have any of you guys tried the new SKTS reel seats and what do you think of them? Second what do you guys think of the ACS seats? I'm kind of on the fence about them. They seem great on reaction rods, but I don't like them at all on a jig or a flippin rod. What do you think?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Fuji SKTS and ACS seats.

Post by Mattman » Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 am

I haven't used the SKTS yet. I have seen some negative feedback regarding the sizing of them.

Personally, I can't stand the ACS. I don't find it comfortable at all. I also tend to see with the ACS that customers either love them or hate them. Very few are indifferent about them.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 am

The ACS are very much a personal taste that seem to polarize people. Based on the way I palm reels, I absolutely love them! I find them very comfortable, but that is only for my style. I think you gotta go and feel them for yourself to figure out which side of the fence you lie on.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 am

x3 on the ACS. I like them...a lot of people hate them.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 am

I like the feel of the acs but not the extra weight. I haven't got my hands on the new seat yet.

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 am

I've seen that my fishing friends which are used to put 3 fingers infront of the trigger love the ACS, and the ones that put 2 hate it :-k

Anyone knows what's the difference in weight between ACS and ECS?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri May 20, 2011 12:16 am

Sportive wrote:
Anyone knows what's the difference in weight between ACS and ECS?

ECS II size 11 - 407.2 grains - 0.9325 ounces

ACS size 11 - 438.2 grains - 1.0035 ounces
Matt Davis

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Fri May 20, 2011 2:40 am

Thank's Mattman.

What do you think about the Pacific Bay Minima?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 am

Sportive wrote:Thank's Mattman.

What do you think about the Pacific Bay Minima?
I'm not Mattman but I switched over to the Minima reel seats and I really like them! Very comfortable for my hands. I'm not a fan of the ACS reel seats.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 am

Sportive wrote: What do you think about the Pacific Bay Minima?

Not a fan...nor of any split seat for that matter. I don't find them (split seats) terribly comfortable. The larger the diameter of the blank, the more comfortable they become though.
Matt Davis

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat May 21, 2011 9:07 am

I've never had any luck with Pac Bay products. Guides always break and reelseat threads strip. I'm sure it's all me, but I stay alway from them just the same.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

Kind of a weird answer, but I like the Pac Bay Minima spinning seat for use on light baitcaster set ups. I fished one for the past two days with a Sol on an XMG50 SJ842 cut to 6'6". Weird set up, but very comfortable without the trigger.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat May 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Funny you say that Tokugawa, I've been contemplating cutting and sanding off one of my trigger rods and seeing how it feels with a MUCH smaller trigger.
Has anyone tried that?
MegabassUSA.com

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 am

the minima seats are heavier than an ECS cut down to a split seat. I believe the difference between them is about .2oz

the idea of a triggerless seat intrigues me.... I did see pics of another builder using the split spinning seat... looks like I will have another project to try for this next winter

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun May 22, 2011 5:31 am

what were the sizing issues w/ the fuji SKTS seats?

For a custom, I like the forecast soft touch seats above all else. Just mount the reel to these seats and let them sit for a week before trimming the threads, the soft touch coating seems to have a breakin period. ECS seat would be my second choice.

while I find the ACS seats very comfortable, I can't access the blank through portion w/ out changing my normal grip. My only rod w/ this seat in my legend elite and w/ the foregrip and extra threads on the seat, I can't touch the blank easily. I probably won't have another rod w/ the ACS in the future.

Not a fan of the split seats at all, especially in cold weather. They seem to give me very wet hands. Not sure if this would be an issue w/ non Daiwa reels where the reel foot is not split/open to the spool. Braid probably has alot to do w/ this also.

I like the idea of the trimmed down trigger or no trigger at all for a light casting reel. Don't the KTF fenwicks do this? I think that's where I saw it. Another excuse to build a rod.

Matt